- bouquet of balloons -

- memory

- memory

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

( y / n )

the teacher entered the class and tapped her long ruler on the desk gently to grab our attention. everyone scrambled to their seats and stopped chattering, waiting for what the adult had to say.

"alright, class. we have a new friend to join us for this school year!" she excitedly announced, clasping her hands together. children leaned forward- some to the side- to catch a glimpse of the said "new friend."

as they all watched and waited, i grabbed a pack of crayons from the floor and started drawing. i didn't really know what i had in mind to draw, i just felt like it.

suddenly, i saw an unfamiliar figure in my peripheral vision and looked up from my almost ripped paper due to my aggressive coloring. a boy with pink hair and purple eyes. he looked blankly at the class, as if he was in a daze, as he gripped his blue backpack.

i stared at him and we made eye contact. that's when i raised my hand and waved at him, beaming, as if welcoming him. he waved back.

"oh! since you and y/n are already greeting each other, you can sit beside her." the said boy walked over to me and pulled out a seat, sitting down.

that's weird. isn't he supposed to introduce himself first? did he already do it and i just wasn't paying attention?

the teacher started the lesson.

"hey, hey! what's your name?" i whispered and pushed my table to connect it to his. he looked at me for a moment before answering, "saiki kusuo."

"wow! thats a nice name! my name's l/n y/n! let's be best friends!" i stretched my hand out for a hand shake to which he gladly accepted.

"oh, right!" i glanced at the teacher only to see her not noticing me talking to saiki before continuing, "i have a birthday party later after school. i don't have an invitation for you because i handed out all of them but..." i scratched my head. "you can be a v.i.p or something!"

saiki stayed silent. i frowned.

"aw, um, don't be sad! i just didn't know you were new here!" i tried to reassure, "i don't know what a v.i.p is but my mommy always says it to someone who looks important. so..."

"l/n, saiki, please pay attention in class!" i yelped at the voice of the teacher who gently warned.

after class ended, i slipped my backpack on and grabbed saiki's hand after i saw him done packing his things.

"just follow me! my daddy will pick me up soon! at least, that's what mommy said earlier..."

"i have to go home soon though." i felt sad. can't he at least wait with me?

"can you wait with me? please? if your mommy or daddy comes to pick you up, just say you're coming to my birthday as a v.i.p!" i grinned triumphantly, as if that was the best excuse i came up with.

saiki didn't say anything and i took that as him agreeing with me.

a few hours passed by and i was getting impatient.

"oh... i don't think daddy's going to pick me up today... he's probably busy- same with mommy." i slumped down on the bench outside the kindergarten. saiki sat down with me and swung his legs back and forth.

"where do you live?" i looked at him, confused. "i don't know. i don't remember." i sadly reply, resting my face on my palms, a frown etched onto my lips. saiki continued to stay silent until he grabbed ahold of my wrist.

"huh?"

"it's okay. i'll take you home."

and in a blink of an eye, i was in front of my house. my jaw dropped in surprise and i rubbed my eyes, comically, in disbelief. "how did we get here!?" i didn't wait for an answer. i didn't care.

"wah! let's go inside! the party is starting!" saiki furrowed his eyebrows. "there's no party..."

"what?" i asked, confused.

"i saw inside your house. there's no party, no balloons. no one's inside."

"huh...?" i felt confused and sad. mommy and daddy didn't take a day off to celebrate with me. they promised... they even hooked their pinkies with mine!

i felt tears brimming and started crying. "they promised!" i dropped to the ground and started kicking and crying, wiping my never ending, flowing tears with my sleeves.

"don't cry. here." i moved my arms and looked up at saiki with blurry eyes.

he was holding multiple ballons together. they looked so colorful and pretty. i sniffed and stood up, taking the boquet of balloons from him.

"happy birthday, l/n."

"you can call me y/n! we're best friends now!" i grinned, the tears still streaming down my face, not from disappointment and sadness this time, but from happiness and excitement.

"thank you, kusuo!"

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

a/n :: this is my favourite chapter yet. the memory chapters are always going to be my favourites.