- pastel sunset -

- memory

- memory

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

( y / n )

ever since kusuo transfered to our kindergarten, he always won during rock, paper, scissors. everyone would not bother to argue with him since everything is settled with the said game. this is kindergarten we're talking about.

one of the assistant teachers gave me a watercolor palette to which i frowned upon, wanting to throw a tantrum but my mother scolded me and told me to appreciate what i am given. not wanting to get another sermon from her, i begrudgingly opened the palette and and dipped the paint brush in the cup of water, swirling the now wet brush in one of the colors.

i didn't know what i wanted to paint right now. scanning the room for inspiration, my eyes landed on a certain pink haired boy who had just entered the classroom. it was recess now and the other kids were outside playing in the playground but i stayed behind, wanting to paint.

"kusuo! wanna watch me paint?" i asked, motioning him to come over in an exaggerated manner. kusuo only nodded and plopped next to me, observing me paint. it was a mess of every color i dipped the paint brush in— in other words, crap colored. it was a blend of everything but it didn't turn out for the better at all.

i shook violently at how horrible the painting looked and almost cried out of frustration when kusuo grabbed a clean piece of paper and slid it in front of me. i blinked back the tears and stared at the paper, confused.

"what's this for?"

"can you paint something for me?"

no one had asked me to paint them before so he was my very first customer (or so i'd like to call it). happily accepting, i picked up the paint brush with new found motivation. i swiftly, yet clumsily, painted with an imagination that only occured every once in a while. after i was done, i flipped the paper over and showed it to kusuo, hoping it was to his liking. it was a painting of the sun setting with pink and purple colors. i added two stick figures that i made sure to indicate as me and kusuo.

"what do you think?" i asked rather loud, excitement bubbling up inside me. kusuo took a moment to respond but he smiled at me and hugged the piece of artwork. "it's nice. i'll keep it." just hearing those words made me feel a euphoria i didn't think i'd ever feel.

"really?! in that case, i'll paint for you all the time! i'm the only one who gets to paint for you, got it?" i furrowed my eyebrows, grabbing both of his hands and held them tight, as if determined to be his only painter. kusuo nodded, a smile creeping up to his lips.

"yay! oh, wait, let's play outside now. i'm bored." dragging the boy behind me, i halted at the sight of the swings, which were occupied by some classmates. "hey, can we have a turn?" i asked politely, hoping they'd agree. the girl and boy sitting at the swings only scoffed in annoyance and shook their heads, "no way! we got here first!" they argued.

i stomped my feet, "you've been there for hours now! it's our turn!" i yelled, throat feeling dry. we continued to argue back and forth and eventually kusuo stepped up, offering to settle everything with rock, paper, scissors. the two on the swing visibly shook at the sight of kusuo extending his hand out.

"u-uh, nevermind! you can have the swings!" they said, running back inside. i smiled and grabbed ahold of the rope of the swing, about to sit down when i stopped and stared at kusuo. "wait, do you want me to push you?" i asked, standing up straight. kusuo shook his head, but i was still persistent.

"mm, but i want to push you." i whined, scratching my head in annoyance. suddenly, kusuo extended his hand, just like he did with the other kids earlier. "you want to settle it with rock, paper, scissors?" he nodded. i bit my inner cheek, nervous. i never played rock, paper, scissors with kusuo before but knowing that he never lost to a game made me nervous.

"fine, loser has to push the other, okay?" i sigh, finally giving in.

"rock, paper, scissors!" i yelled, my hand opening to a paper... and kusuo's hand was rock. i stood still for a moment. did... did i just win? i smiled to myself, feeling giddy and happy. jumping around, i proudly held my open hand, that resembled a paper, up in the air proudly, amazed at myself that i won against kusuo.

"i won!" saying this, i happily plopped on the swing as kusuo didn't seem to mind the idea of pushing the swing i was currently on. he pushed me throughout recess and although i felt guilty that he didn't get a chance, he said it was okay since he could swing high himself.

school was soon over and the two of us stood outside, waiting for our parents. kusuo told me that his parents don't pick him up and he just teleports home, to which i asked why he stays behind. his only answer was, "to make sure your parents pick you up."

we would usually stay there until the sky turned into a pastel sunset color. it looked pretty and warm, which comforted me. we would spend our time playing rock, paper, scissors and i would always win, which gave me a sense of pride.

in fact, i noticed that i was the only one he lost to during rock, paper, scissors.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

a/n;; end of act one!