- faded photo

- i always felt like he was familiar in some way, but what?

was familiar in
some way, but what?

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

( y / n )

I GLARED AT THE FADED PHOTO, angry that it was blurry.

"maybe i should use a polaroid? but polaroids are one takes..." i mumbled to myself.

as i adjusted the angle of my camera (that i have not used since middle school since i was part of the newspaper club), sounds of excited footsteps were heard throughout the house.

"yuuta?" i said, looking at him, confused. he had stars in his eyes as he balled his hands into fists. "sis, let's go to the carnival later!" i thought for a moment if i had any missing homeworks and decided that i'd do them later.

"sure, let's go." i agreed and set my camera down, "let me get ready first!" i exclaimed as yuuta ran downstairs and waited for me.

as soon as i finished getting ready, i looked around my room and spotted the polaroid camera. do i need it? i wondered. eh, i'll just take random pictures of yuuta and give it to mom for the photo album.

grabbing my polaroid camera and wearing it around my neck thanks to the strap, i made my way downstairs where a hyperactive yuuta took my hand and dragged me outside, excited to go to the carnival.

"why do we need to go there anyway?" i asked, slipping on my shoes, almost tripping in the process. "because cyborg cider man #2 will come!" he answered, jumping around.

"oh." was the only thing i could say as yuuta tugged on my arm. "hey, hey, let me wear my shoes first!" i sighed, standing up and leaving the house.

"cyborg cider man #2!" i heard yuuta excitedly yell. "we aren't there yet, yuuta—" my eyes finally landed on a certain pink haired boy.

and that's how the three of us ended up going to the carnival. it was pretty exhausting having to deal with yuuta already so i felt guilty that i dragged saiki into this.

"um, sorry if we bothered you." saiki shook his head and sighed, as if saying it was no trouble. i looked around and yuuta was suddenly gone, "where is he?!" i panicked.

"calm down, he's right there." saiki said, pointing to the crowd of people near the stage to what i'm assuming will be where the so-called cyborg cider man #2 will make his appearance.

as we made our way to the stage and passed through the crowd, i grabbed yuuta's hand and bended down to his height, "yuuta, don't run off like that!" i scolded, still worried.

"sorry, big sis! but i just saw the poster for the cyborg cider man #2 performance!"

oh, so he is aware that it's just a performance...

my eyes darted to the said poster where it said "performance."

nevermind.

we watched the entire thing— it was mediocre enough so that hyperactive children would be kept entertained throughout the entire thing.

i adjusted my camera to yuuta and snapped a photo of him, to which he didn't notice. as expected. i smiled to myself seeing the photo fade into view. it was yuuta sitting on the barricades to get a better view, smiling and happy.

i stuffed it into my wallet and observed the surrounding area for something else to take a picture of. i wanted to take pictures so i can use it as reference to paint.

the performance ended with cyborg cider man #2 winning (as expected). everyone clapped, children screaming in excitement for the main character's victory.

"okay, do you want to do anything else?" i asked yuuta, holding his hand.

"cotton candy!" he pointed to the red and white stripped stall with an umbrella over it. "sure, do you want any, kusuo?" i asked, turning to him. he nodded.

after getting our cotton candy, yuuta still didn't want to go home. i'm blaming his hyper attitude on the cotton candy. he wanted to go on multiple rides and attractions, which was, although tiring, still fun.

i snapped a bunch of pictures of yuuta smiling and wearing a bunch of expressions on his face as the three of us made our way to every attraction the little boy could see.

the day was almost over and yuuta tiredly rubbed his eyes. "i'm sleepy..." he yawned, tears forming on the corners of his eyes. i giggled to myself, picking him up. yuuta rested his head on my shoulders and relaxed, falling asleep after a while.

"wait, there's still one more thing i want to do." i mumbled, "could you... carry yuuta for a quick second?" saiki didn't say anything and carried the tired boy in his arms, confused.

"okay, just stay there!" i say, running far away and kneeling down, positioning the camera at the right angle to capture the moment.

after snapping a photo of saiki and yuuta together, i smiled to myself.

"did you just take a picture of me?" he asked the obvious. "yeah, i just did!" i chuckled, waving the polaroid around. saiki gave yuuta back to me as i carried him home.

"did you have fun?" i asked, breaking the comfortable silence home. he didn't say anything as usual and only shrugged. "you know, if you keep shrugging, i'll start taking them as a yes."

saiki rolled his eyes and stuffed his hands in his pockets. yuuta stirred in his sleep and wiggled away from my hold. i set him down and he yawned, "yuuta, if you're still sleepy i can carry you."

he only shook his head and jumped, running towards our house. it's like he already knew the direction. oh well, we were pretty close anyway.

after arriving at my house, i turned around to face saiki, "thanks for hanging around me and yuuta. hopefully we didn't bother you today."

saiki nodded his head in acknowledgement and made his way home. my eyes followed his figure, the way the sunset highlighted him in my view... it was almost mesmerizing. did he always look like this? they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder... i never really noticed him in class— i didn't even realize he was a classmate!

biting my inner cheek out of habit, i stared in awe. it's as if the world stopped. i always felt like he was familiar in some way, but what?

i feel like i'm forgetting something.

my hands itched to capture the moment in front of me.

"hey, kusuo!" i yelled. he turned around, confused, and i took the opportunity to snap a photo of him.

"smile!"

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

“i want to be the light in your light, be the happiest of your good times, be the smile you didn't know you had.”