Chapter 5

Adeline brought another basket for dinner, this time, steak and kidney pie. It was more toned down, which Potter seemed to notice.

Again, they hid behind the tree line, but this time, snow blanketed the grounds. The only thing keeping them warm was their wardrobes and a heating charm.

"How was your day," Adeline asked. It was such a stupid question, but Potter seemed to love it.

Potter was mid-bite, prepared to answer, but then stopped. His face changed to one of excitement. "Those are the best socks I've ever seen."

What, Adeline thought, they're just black socks. It was too cold to wear any of the date clothes Pansy had picked out for her, so instead Adeline had worn normal clothes to the date. But then her eyes trailed to her feet. They weren't her regular black socks; they were green and had snitches fluttering around her ankles and beneath her shoes.

How. Bloody. Embarrassing. Adeline flushed. "Oh, er, my apologies. I wear these to bed. I left in a rush and grabbed the top pair."

"They're fantastic! Where'd you get them?" Potter watched the snitches racing around her ankles and dip below her laces.

"A few years ago. My mother bought them from a shop in France." It almost made Adeline laugh, how entertained Potter was from a pair of socks. Potter enjoyed boring things. Domestic things. Normal things. Maybe because his life was so insane. "You're something else, Potter."

"They're awesome, though," Potter defended.

"Thank you." So embarrassing.

"Want to go flying?"

"Later. I want to get to know you more."

Potter smiled, but tried to hide it. "Really? How so?"

Adeline nodded. "An interview somewhat, but hopefully I won't be as annoying as Skeeter."

"It's a low bar," Potter said. "Okay, go."

"Favorite hobby outside of Quidditch?"

Potter's face scrunched in thought. "Er... hanging out with Ron and Hermione. I'm glad they're my friends. You?"

"This isn't about me, this is about you," Adeline said, but Potter shook his head.

"I want to know about you, too."

Adeline exhaled. She didn't want to open up to him. Why should she? The more Potter knew her, the more Potter could figure out her weaknesses. "Reading."

"I never took you as a reader."

"I'm second in the class for your information, under your friend, no matter how hard I try." Mudblood.

"What kind of books?"

"The kind with words."

"Wow," Potter threw a handful of snow at her and Adeline snickered. "The kind with words."

"Greek Mythology. Specifically, stories about Poseidon. He was fascinating."

"Okay, I'm bored," Potter fake yawned, "Favorite plant?"

"Idiot. Lavender. You?"

"Ooo. I like lavender. Erm... I like the Ra—it started with a R... my neighbor had them... They were these bulbs but they look like onions."

"Do you particularly like onions?" Adeline furrowed her brows.

"No. I mean, I like them, but they're not my favorite vegetable. I just think they're cool looking."

"Favorite vegetable?"

"Er... peas," Potter guessed.

"How revolutionary." Adeline rolled her eyes and Potter stuck his tongue out at her.