Chapter 47

The scary thing about being safe is not the actual feeling, but rather, the safety being taken away. Adeline and Draco were forced to go back to the Manor following a break into Gringotts—what the hell was Harry doing breaking into Gringotts?

Adeline got to watch as every guard protecting Bellatrix's vault get tortured and murder by the Dark Lord himself in a fit of rage, which was traumatizing in it self.

Griphook was dead. And the Dark Lord was vicious. What if he did that to Harry? What if he captured him?

They weren't out of the woods by any means, and any safety they felt was a facade.

That night, Adeline was in her room, packing to go back to Hogwarts, when there was a bone-chilling knock at her door. It wasn't Narcissa, she could tell by the aggression.

Adeline threw her bag on the floor on the other side of the bed where the curtain and blankets would hide it from sight.

Bellatrix opened the door, a look of seriousness hiding her insanity. "The boy, Potter. He's at Hogwarts. The Dark Lord is calling all Death Eaters to attack." Adeline's heart pounded in her ears. "You have another mission. Go to the Room of Requirement. You have to find the Ravenclaw Diadem and protect it with your life. Bring it to me. Hide it so no one knows you have it. If you can't find me, you're to hide it somewhere far from Hogwarts."

"You want me to hide a crown?" Adeline spoke in a monotone, hiding her fear. "I imagine if I fail I'll be killed."

She smirked. "Good pet. And if you see Potter anywhere along the way, you run. Potter can't be anywhere near the Diadem. Understood?"

Adeline nodded. "Yes."

She left without another word.

A diadem? Why does the Dark Lord care about a stupid crown? Maybe Voldy wants a tiara to prove he really is a princess...

And then she realised something. Adeline swallowed and took several breaths. Harry was at Hogwarts. What the hell was he doing at Hogwarts, that bloody idiot! Does he not know what's going to happen?

Take a breath, Adeline.

New mission: Find the Ravenclaw Diadem and give it directly to Harry. Don't get killed. Don't let Harry get killed.

Got it.

Within seconds, Adeline appeared at Hogwarts.

~*~

On her way from the dungeons, Adeline saw a familiar figure, one rushing, and Adeline did her best to ignore it, pretending it wasn't him because they weren't supposed to see each other ever again. See you tomorrow—like the idiot knew she'd come here.

But it was almost as if Harry was following her from in front of her because they both faced the Room of Requirement.

And couldn't she pretend for just one second that she and Harry were going to lay on their comfortable sofa and cuddle and share gossip until morning? Couldn't she pretend for one second?

Adeline's breath caught in her throat. She looked around, making sure no one else was there, and then she smirked.

Harry entered and Adeline rushed behind him, though missed him as Harry hunted in the abyss.

Ravenclaw Diadem. Harry must've been looking for it, too.

Potter can't be anywhere near the Diadem. Understood?

Ha. Adeline was gonna find the diadem and throw it at Harry's face.

They both searched, and Harry still didn't know that Adeline was there. Maybe she could sneak it to him without him noticing—they weren't supposed to see each other again. Adeline couldn't put Harry in harm's way.