Chapter 16

September passed in an exhausting blur of vivid, robbing nightmares, and of course a growing hatred for Umbridge the more and more his hand stung. Harry went through the motions most days, which was a saving grace because if he didn't, a nasty anger would take over. There was something about isolation and exhaustion that did that to you. However, running on autopilot also carried over onto dates with Adeline.

They were fine. It was nice because Adeline believed his story, but he also felt he needed to distance from her, too. Because it was like he was dragging Adeline into the mess with him, and that wasn't Adeline's burden to bear.

But what came along with that was the feeling of inadequacy, too. He wasn't being a good boyfriend, and that was something that just added to the pile of things that brought Harry down.

To make up for it, he tried going to the forest early on their date so he could surprise her, however by the time Adeline made it there, Harry's eyes were already closed as he lay in the grass.

Adeline pushed through the curtain of vines. She approached him and kneeled down beside him. "I see someone's excited for date night."

Harry blinked several times. Adeline kissed him and finally Harry opened his eyes, only to close them in the sheer feeling of Adeline's lips against his own. "Sorry, 'm tired."

"I've noticed. You look awful." Adeline sat back in a crisscross position. "You could use some moisturizer."

"Thanks, you're gorgeous as well." Harry rolled his eyes.

"Well, I know that," Adeline smirked. "I'd rather be honest. But just to let you know, I can see the bags under your eyes from across the Great Hall." Harry just frowned and lay back, looking up at the darkening sky before closing his eyes once again. "Are you sure you're just tired? Is everything okay?"

Harry licked his lips. Adeline didn't need to know he felt a presence within him, a darkness that seemed to take over his soul. Adeline had been hurt enough because of Voldemort's return at the hand of her father, and she wasn't even involved with him. Adeline also didn't need to know about the scar on his hand. No one did. "I haven't been sleeping well."

Adeline glanced out at the lake, the sun setting behind it, and then back at Harry. She debated even bringing it up and making things worse. "Yeah, but... you look more than tired."

"Really?" Harry opened up his eyes with a raised eyebrow. Maybe he could play it off and not have to face this conversation. "Why's that?"

"To be blunt, you look sad... depressed."

Harry just closed his eyes and turned his head away from her. "I'm fine."

"What's fine?"

"Everything. It's all good. I'm just tired."

Adeline remained quiet for several moments. And then she challenged, "No, you're not."

Harry snapped back at her, his mood written on his face. "Then why don't you tell me what's wrong since you seem to know everything."

"I'm just asking," Adeline raised her tone a bit. "You can talk to me, you know. About what's bothering you."

Harry's jaw poked out. "Nothing is—" He caught a look at Adeline's glare. "Fine. Everything sucks when everyone hates you." Harry bit his lip, the back of his eyes stinging. He lay back on the blanket, the soft breeze bringing him no relief.

"Everyone hates me too." Adeline said, trying to compare, but she knew that wouldn't bring much comfort. Adeline still wasn't too good at this comforting thing, but she was trying her best.

"No. Everyone's afraid of you," Harry said. "Because you choose to make them that way. I didn't choose to go through everything last year."

Adeline lay back, putting a hand in Harry's hair and stroking behind his ear.