Chapter 29

They finished writing out the script for Plan Damage Beyond Repair by four in the morning and after plenty of arguments and tears from Adeline. "I don't want to do this. I don't want to hurt him!"

"You have to. You don't have a choice anymore."

Then, they planned what to do in the meantime.

The first phase of Plan Damage Beyond Repair, or Plan DBR (which was not nearly as catchy as The Plan to Seduce Potter) was to make a life with Harry really fun and enjoyable. Business as usual so that Harry wouldn't be suspicious that anything strange happened over summer.

The second part of the plan involved planting seeds, giving things for Harry to worry about and concluding that it was all fake, if it was ever needed. Really, Plan DBR was a backup, Adeline never wanted Harry to find out, though that seemed impossible given she had to sneak in Death Eaters into the castle by the end of the year and assassinate the Headmaster.

That was the second phase of the plan, as well as the assassination, Adeline didn't look forward to. So instead of thinking about what she had to do eventually, she got to work on having fun with Harry. In calculated doses. That she controlled. On her terms.

"Ah, Harry, meh boy! Welcome. Thought you weren't coming. Grab your things and join us all," Slughorn cheered merrily.

Adeline furrowed her eyebrows. This was Advanced Potions. Harry wasn't supposed to be here. Harry had a free period. They'd talked about it last night before they left. She wasn't meant to see Harry until Wednesday in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and then on Friday for their date.

"Actually Professor, I didn't think I was eligible to take this course and I'm afraid I've come unprepared."

Wait. He enrolled? That means she gets to see Harry?

That means she gets to see Harry.

Which means there was an extra hour and a half where things weren't on her terms.

No no no. The break up will be so awkward.

"That's fine," Slughorn said. "Just take what you need from the cupboard. Now class, can someone please pick out what this potion is?"

Adeline didn't listen. Instead, her eyes were fixed on Harry and Weasley, who wrestled in the corner. Adeline caught herself staring at Harry—stop it! You're losing control.

Her eyes fell to the floor in guilt, and she only looked back up when the pair broke apart and Weasley turned around with a smirk of success on his face while Harry sneered with a ratted book in his hands.

Just as he did, Harry's scent overcame Adeline. At first, Adeline questioned how it was so overwhelming with Harry standing so far away. Even when they were kissing, cuddling, sleeping next to each other, it was never this overpowering. And then it mixed with all sorts of lovely smells. Apples, vanilla, Harry's stupid shampoo, Harry's musk and cotton, and chocolate cake from her childhood.

"This is a love potion that works according to one's smell that attracts them," Granger explained. Thank Merlin. She wasn't crazy. "For example, I smell freshly mown grass, new parchment and spearmint toothpaste..." A swirling magenta tornado whirled out of the open pot in front of the group. Adeline bit her lip and met Harry's eyes, which were wild and remained fixed on Adeline.

Oh no. He smelled her. They smelled each other.

Not in control. Not in control.

Slughorn covered the cauldron, and Adeline's ability to concentrate returned. Harry's eyes remained fixed on her. Damn it, he was so...cute damnit.