Chapter 20

Though shaken, Harry had his last class with the DA the day before they left for Christmas break. He did his best to pretend he was okay, so none of his peers noticed him weaken and falter. Ron and Hermione knew, but kept it to themselves and didn't look at him differently, thank God. Well, especially since Harry's dream saved Arthur. But they knew he was scared.

Having them there grounded him enough to the point he could throw himself into the work. Stray fears crept in, however.

Could Voldemort hear my thoughts? Could he see where I was? What was the extent of this? Was this real? Was he in the Room of Requirement, or was he sleeping and Voldemort was making this a reality?

Hermione broke him from his trance. "We were supposed to leave five minutes ago." she said as everyone continued casting spells.

"Thanks," he said to her, and then he turned to everyone else. "Alright, everybody, thank you so much. I'll see you after the holiday. Great work, everyone, really!"

They all thanked him and exited the Room of Requirement with laughter and joy, chatting about the work they'd done and the plans they had for the holiday. And all Harry could think about was Voldemort. He did his best to avoid the envy he had for everyone else. Their lives must be so carefree.

What if Adeline isn't safe for the next two weeks? Did Voldemort know? Was Voldemort going to be with her?

Harry swallowed as packed up his bag, only to be interrupted by a sniffle in the corner.

Cho stood in front of one of the mirrors in the room, staring at Cedric's picture. She wiped her eyes. It pained Harry to look at it too, a life taken too soon, the burn of his own responsibility in the situation just as wild as his grief for him.

Guilt made him step forward and comfort her. Maybe it would bring some comfort to himself, too.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked. "I heard Umbridge gave you a rough time the other day."

"Yeah, I'm okay. If it means it's worth it. It's just learning all this makes me wonder if he would have known..." She looked at the photograph, her heart as heavy as Harry's.

"Cedric did know this stuff. He was really good." Tears filled her eyes. And Harry understood it, the grief. He thought back to the memory, Voldemort walking over him like he was nothing. Just a spare. "It's just that Voldemort was better."

She nodded then looked up at him. "You're a really good teacher, Harry."

"Thanks." he said, ready for the conversation to end, however, she stepped closer to him. Oh no. More talking.

"Merry Christmas, Harry." she whispered, and then she leant in. Harry didn't even know what she was doing until she did it. Her lips were on his, her eyes closed.

Wait, what? And then he froze in horror. Oh no, what was he doing?

Push her away—

Wait, if someone was there, this could be a coverup for him and Adeline. It's something he needs if Voldemort even decided to go looking in his head. And his friends would stop bothering him about it.

This could be a good thing. So, for a few seconds, he kissed her back.

And it sucked. God, he liked Adeline. He liked Adeline so much.

Really, he loved Adeline.

He pulled away at the thought of her, his legs feeling like ice. His whole body did. Then Harry looked to the side.

There was no one there. This wasn't a cover up.

This was a mistake. A horrible, stupid mistake.

"Harry." she said, but Harry backed away.