Chapter 36

Every day of holiday break was a circus of misery for Adeline. The Dark Lord didn't come before Christmas Eve, but Death Eaters still burrowed in her Manor. Draco was there, of course, but he was always silent. Just as he had been all year long. The Malfoy twins never got to meet each other, because they were back to their normal schedules of different training times and places. Draco was learning Dark Magic with another bunch of Death Eaters. And that fact really made Adeline furious, because then she'd have no idea whether or not he was okay. Thankfully, Draco, unlike her, actually listened to the Death Eaters in fear of being tortured. This was not necessarily a good thing for Draco or the muggles, but to Adeline, it meant relief. Her brother wasn't getting harmed.

The first day, The Carrows brought a muggle family from Scotland and tortured them all until their screams echoed throughout the halls well after they'd killed them.

"Fifth family today," Amycus smirked when Adeline had to help move the bodies because most of the house-elves at the Manor had already been beaten to death.

The second day, Bellatrix had two men who looked quite like Harry, enough to make Adeline's stomach drop once she saw them, but it was a test, and Adeline knew it was, so she kept a stone cold face as they took more Unforgivables than Adeline could count.

Lucius escaped from Azkaban that day, too. Adeline hadn't even known that was a plan. His hair was ratted and face sunk in from the effects of the Dementors. When Adeline first saw him, she thought he was a ghost, and she'd avoided him ever since.

"You finally have your Marks," Lucius had said in a congratulatory tone to Draco and Adeline. "As you should."

Sod off, Adeline thought, and she had gone to her room. Draco had probably stayed there a little longer, making excuses for Adeline's behaviour.

On the morning of Christmas Eve, Greyback roamed the Manor, obviously hungry despite the dried blood on his chin and shirt. Adeline hid in the attic the rest of the day until late into the evening.

The meeting started with everyone sharing their crimes, or 'accomplishments' as they called them.

"Welcome back from Azkaban, Lucius. Have you learnt your lesson?" The Dark Lord, as well as everyone else, turned to the Malfoys, who all sat together. Draco and Adeline sat next to each other, holding hands under the table, while Lucius sat on Draco's other side. Narcissa sat on Adeline's other side, furthest from Lucius.

"Yes, my Lord." Lucius's voice was raspy and weak.

"Consider Azkaban a mercy."

"Yes, my Lord." Lucius tried to remain firm, but he shuttered.

"Adeline," the Dark Lord turned to her. "There's been an empty seat here as you've been at Hogwarts. How's our boy, Potter?"

He's not yours. Adeline's grip on Draco's hand tightened out of nervousness. "Still mourning the death of his godfather. I'm motivated every day by it," Adeline said as rehearsed. Bellatrix cackled. "When he loses Dumbledore, he'll be devastated just the same. He's more and more alone as time goes on. There's been tension between his friends as well."

"Are you responsible for those tensions?"

"Some of them. I monitor them, but I don't need to be all the time. They do it on their own. I will do my best to isolate him more." Though she felt that was an inadequate answer. Really, everything was an inadequate answer. Draco squeezed her hand, as if to say 'relax'.

Voldemort's red eyes flashed. "What is Potter like in his off time? Are there any things that might be of interest should we need to use them?"

"Potter's a rather dull person. The only thing special about him is his skills for Quidditch. I would say if you were to attack him, make it on foot. Don't let him have access to a broom."