Chapter 19

But they'd gotten so used to sleeping next to each other, sharing an abundance of hugs and long nights together, that without the hours each day together, they faced a withdrawal. Adeline would reach for Harry in the middle of the night and then wake up realizing she was in her Slytherin dorm, alone. And she hated it.

Harry would, despite the thoughtful potions that Adeline made for him, still have nightmares and search for her, too. Checking on his map, he assumed Adeline was sleeping safe and sound in her bed.

The only thing that kept Harry from starting back up their peaceful nights was the idea that he could get Adeline in trouble, and if he got Adeline in trouble, then maybe Harry would be in worse trouble and someone would find out and they'd be separated. Or Adeline could get hurt from her father.

One day after potions, Adeline couldn't take it anymore. As students cleared out, she pulled Harry aside and locked the broom closet door swiftly behind her.

She wrapped her arms around him, embracing him for as long as she could, which lasted about a minute, since they had class soon. Then she let go and grabbed his face to pepper kisses on both his cheeks and finally his nose.

And Adeline left him with flushed cheeks, feeling all fuzzy and warm.

"Have a good class," she whispered on the way out, and Harry was too entranced to even notice the bell ring, or notice Adeline leave.

And Adeline took every opportunity to do so, not to say every class was an opportunity. If they were lucky, twice a day, if unlucky, no hugs and kisses at all. It was usually a surprise and elevated Harry's mood. It was those sweet moments that threaded their relationship together in the absence of sleeping on the hammock.

Harry's attitude changed enough for his friends to take notice, though they didn't mention it because they didn't want to ruin anything. But Adeline was the most pleased about it. She was actually making someone happy. And she felt happy in return.

They both spent most of their days trying to suppress smiles.

And Adeline loved showering Harry with gifts, because as she said 'What's the point of having a rich girlfriend?'

Adeline ordered some caramels from her favorite sweet shop in France to surprise him one day and headed to the Owlery before breakfast so that Harry would get them during the mail drop.

When she arrived, most owls had packages in their beaks, ready to fly.

She went to Maximus who had the box of sweets next to him. "Thank you," she handed him a treat. And then she went up to where Hedwig usually rested. She placed the box on one of the open stands as she reached in her pocket for another treat.

Adeline stroked Hedwig's feathers as she held it out for her. "Don't tell Maximus. He'll get jealous."

Hedwig snatched the treat out of her hand as footsteps came up the stairs.

"Malfoy, what are you doing to Hedwig?"

Adeline looked up to find Weasley standing at the head of the stairs. "I-I..." Oh no. Oh no. Think of something mean. "Poison." Not that mean!

Weasley's mouth dropped. "Hedwig!" He ran to the bird. "No, spit that out!" But Hedwig swallowed the treat happily. "NO!"

Why the hell did you say that, Adeline wanted to hit her head against the wall.

"You slimy git! That's Harry's owl!" Shit shit shit.

Weasley pushed her slightly. "Oi, Weasley, I'm a Prefect. Twenty poi—"

"You just killed Harry's owl! What did the owl do to you? I don't care how much you hate Harry, you idiot. How could you hurt a defenseless animal?"