Chapter 31

'Thanks for the hangover.'

Adeline looked up at the Gryffindor table during breakfast. Harry, plainly, looked terrible.

But Adeline didn't laugh or give any other thought. Instead, she put the note in her pocket and rubbed it. It might be the last time she received a note from Harry as her boyfriend, if ever again.

Adeline didn't plan on getting the book for another few days while she could wrap her head around what it meant to break the bond. What it meant to say goodbye forever.

But, being a proactive and horrible friend, Pansy put it in her room. Being stupid but desperate, Adeline opened it.

She flipped through pages and pages, keeping her reading to a minimum, simply because it would make her excited or want to keep the bond. There was one line she saw a quick flash of that made her go back: Soulmates can heal each other through touch, specifically holding each other—Damn it. Adeline didn't read the rest of it because the acute ache was too much to bear. By herself, she was devastated at the thought of breaking her soulmate bond with Harry; but the bond itself resisted and ripped at her even more, like she was being sliced by two knives instead of one.

She flipped to Chapter Twenty-Two: Breaking The Bond.

Though soulmate bonds are incredibly rare, as discussed in Chapter 1, it is possible that someone may bond with someone whom they do not want to be bonded with, or to someone who is dangerous, toxic, and overall bad for their health. Magic allows for the bond to break on its own should any of the circumstances occur, however, it is only through pure hatred felt by one or both parties.

If this is not the case, and you and your partner still want the bond to be broken, there is one spell that can do so. It is advisable to have a professional help to ensure the safety of both partners—

Damn it. That did nothing. That helped nothing. Because Harry would have to know they were soulmates for the bond to break. Or, to get to the point where she would break it, she would have to make Harry hate her first, and then Adeline herself would have to purely hate Harry.

Adeline flipped back into the book, Chapter Two: What it Means to Have a Bond.

The bond between you is a string that is attached to your souls. This string allows the transfer of magic between the two of you. To see the physical bond, cast mate mean videre using a circular wand movement and repeating the incantation. Please note that making the bond visible can make it vulnerable. Be careful who you are around when doing this, as love bonds of this nature can be exploited with Dark Magic. There are certain dangers that come with having a soulmate bond, which will be discussed in Chapter 13.

Adeline raised her eyebrow and skipped a few paragraphs.

'The physical appearance of the bond reflects the strength of the bond.'

Yes, this could work.

Oh no. This would work.

~*~

Adeline did her best not to get too sentimental when she wrote her last, 'Forest Friday?' note, only after she asked her mother to send her a sedative 'for the mission'. She had to hold Scar when she wrote it.

This is a good thing. This would save both of them.

Harry happily wrote back after breakfast, 'yes', and Adeline threw it away—something she'd never done before, at least not immediately. He usually kept Harry's notes in her pocket for a few days, just because she would find them later and smile at his messy but unique handwriting.