Chapter 14

Adeline had never missed someone so much in her life.

Sometimes she missed her parents when she went to Hogwarts, though not too often. She didn't really miss her mum when she left for camps while she was growing up. She hardly missed her grandparents after they visited her—they were just simple bores. She just wasn't close to any of them, because they never wanted to be close to her.

But missing Harry—someone who was interested in her, invested in her, and someone who brought so much joy—was insufferable. It was a constant ache she couldn't fill. It was as though Harry was on the back of her mind. All she could think about was how would Harry like this dinner, or maybe Harry would like this book, too, even if he didn't read.

What's Harry doing right now? Does he miss Adeline as much as she missed him?

I wonder if Harry's thinking about me this much because this is kind of creepy.

July was nearly over before Adeline received an unexpected note in between ones from Pansy and Blaise. Immediately, Adeline's heart skipped a beat, and she hid the scrap of paper in between the other envelopes.

The note was brief and unrecognizable to anyone who didn't know Harry's handwriting. He didn't sign it, so it made Adeline a little less uptight.

'Today is a Friday

And I am missing you

I wish you and I were together

That would make two

I really didn't want to write this

Because of fright, but I do miss

My sweet twin ferret

So don't swear it

I know I'm really bad

But I didn't want you to be sad

I know this is really lame

But I thought it was all just a game

And now I've fallen for you

And I hope you have, too.'

Adeline hadn't allowed herself to smile in over a month, but she gave herself permission to for just a moment. She hadn't laughed either, and that thought made her yearn for Harry even more. She just wanted to flee this hellscape that was Malfoy Manor, gloomy and too fancy.

She grabbed a spare piece of parchment and only wrote 'You're a modern day Shakespeare' before sealing it in an envelope and sending it off.

Then she marched downstairs, passing through empty hallways that seemed darker and colder than usual.

She found her way to the dining room, a place she had to walk through to get to the front of the house and therefore the owl post, but upon entering, she realized she wasn't alone. Draco wasn't the only other one there either. He also had a note in his hands, and he looked just as shocked as Adeline upon seeing the state of the room.

The dining room table was full, nearly all thirty seats, and at the head of it was not her father, but instead a snake-like figure with red, murderous eyes. Adeline's breath caught in her throat. She turned to look at Draco and saw that he had put on the emotionless mask. Adeline turned back and let out a silent gasp.

There were three bodies hanging by their ankles in place of the chandler, all of whom were dirty and bloody and the smell—

"Ah, yes," You-Know-Who greeted. "You both have grown so much."