Chapter 38

Adeline chose the upcoming Wednesday evening because it was when the snow fell the hardest, forcing everyone to huddle in their common rooms and thus leave her with an empty trip. As a result, the castle was still; an eerie quiet made it worse on Adeline because she felt open, vulnerable and visible as she carried a small vial of poison that fit in her pocket.

There was a numbness that filled Adeline's veins. She couldn't quite feel herself walking, or even be aware of the steps she took. She wasn't sure if that was better than feeling the sharp, nauseous anxiety that she had the previous few days.

She had to rewrite her Charms essay twice because her fingers were shaking so hard, it wasn't even legible. The grade wasn't up to her standards, either. She'd missed an entire section, and her score suffered the consequences. But who cares about a stupid number on a piece of paper when she had to become a murderer?

Harry even took note of how pale she was on Tuesday. He sent a note asking her if she was okay. Adeline wrote back that she thought she got food poisoning. To which Harry brought her a potion to help. Because he was such a damn good person.

Adeline did her best to think of Harry for comfort as she made her way to Slughorn's storage closet, but then it also came with anxiety. Because what if Harry knew she was doing such a horrible thing? Such a dangerous and heartbreaking and evil thing?

It was difficult to make him fall in love with a murderer. At least before, she was pushing him in the right direction, away from her. Now... not so much.

When she arrived at Slughorn's storage closet (which was Snape's old one), she cast an Alohomora, and entered. It was a simple act, just opening it, putting a few drops in, and replacing the tag, which she did, trying not to let her eyes linger on the 'To Albus'.

And for some reason, her body stopped protecting her. The numbness faded and the pure anxiety replaced it.

You're just adding in some liquid. Dumbledore is smart. He'll know it's tainted by the smell. He won't drink it. Pretend it doesn't have poison in it, do the deed, and leave.

Pretend it isn't poison, it's just water.

It was like there was a frog in her throat. She couldn't swallow, and breathing became a labored chore.

Adeline checked it one last time before hiding the poison back in her pocket and rushing out of the closet.

As she shut the door carefully behind her, she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

Suddenly, Slughorn's door opened, and Adeline froze. Rather than Slughorn stepping out, it was Harry.

Harry bloody Potter. Of all people.

Harry blinked. "What are you doing?"

Shoot! She was trying to get Harry to fall back in love with her. She wasn't trying to let Harry catch her on one of her murder missions!

"H-Hey you," Adeline choked. She tried her best not to look guilty, but her entire body felt like ice. She wanted to scream out her confession. She wanted to collapse and quit and—why was she breathing so hard?

"You look... pale." His eyes narrowed.

"You can't go in here," she panicked, grabbing Harry's hand and pulling him away from the closet. "I'm setting up for our anniversary."

"Already?"

"Yes. I'm a planner, remember? I make plans." her voice cracked. Adeline led him down the hall until they were far enough away for her to get somewhat of a grip. And she thought that she made it, she thought she could keep it down. But there was a newer, stronger wave that came. It brought tears to Adeline's eyes, it brought dizziness and weakness. Her throat burned. Her arm burned.