Chapter 15

Harry could usually sit on the Hogwarts Express with a warm smile accompanying a wave of relief and excitement on September First (except when dementors broke into their car and made him pass out to the sound of his mother's scream, and second year didn't count since he was in a flying car) but this year, the solace was only shallow. Voldemort didn't attack him, nor his friends over the summer—thank God!—but it wasn't that simple.

There was no such thing as true safety so long as Voldemort was alive, and even if he was under Hogwarts' protection, the Order didn't have the same sanctuary.

If he wanted to, he could worry about what the future held: a possible war, more casualties, losing his friends and family. Or he could fixate on Amos Diggory and wonder how he was grieving. The guilt from thinking of that was too much to bear, so Harry did his best not to think about it when his mind allowed a distraction.

Except his nightmares rarely gave him that option, because once he got over the fear that chased those nightmares, the guilt slipped inside before Harry could find peace.

That's when thinking of Adeline saved him. It was a diversion that brought him a warmth that curled around Harry's rapid heartbeat and comforted him enough for him to survive each day at the Dursleys'.

Which was why he expected to see an equal but subtle joy behind Adeline's eyes when they saw each other as they unloaded from the train, but there was nothing of the sort.

Harry waited for a wink or even a slight upturn of her mouth—just some sign that they were still... together. That last year was even real. That the person he gave his heart to still had it and held it gently.

That Harry wasn't depending on a fantasy that he'd made up in his head to get him to cope with everything that happened.

But there wasn't one. Instead, Adeline shook her head and sneered.

Harry couldn't keep the sick feeling of his stomach dropping from bothering him, even with encouraging thoughts like she's just being extra cautious, especially with everything going on and it's good it's this way, she's only protecting you. At least she's here, healthy looking, and safe.

But he couldn't settle. The same process continued over dinner as Umbridge squeaked her welcome speech to the Great Hall.

When she finished and everyone awkwardly clapped, Harry looked up at Adeline, and Adeline stared back at him. Her eyes narrowed and jaw poked as she shook her head.

Harry did his best to hide his sad face. Did he do anything wrong? Did Adeline not want him anymore?

The only relief he got was hours and confrontations later, after he'd battled his Gryffindor classmates over the lies in the Daily Prophet and got ready for bed with his jaw poking out. He was too angry to sleep, when he checked his map, finding Adeline in their secret place in the forest.

He shot out of bed and threw on his invisibility cloak, rushing through Hogwarts until he arrived with heavy breathing and a thin layer of sweat from the summer heat.

Adeline stood in the middle of the field, underneath the stars and the fireflies. She had a small fire next to her that made her glow. The sight was so inviting, he couldn't help but heal slightly.

But as Harry stepped closer, he realized Adeline had an armful of rolled up Daily Prophets.

"Hey you—"

"You," Adeline threw one at Harry, "complete," she threw two more, "bastard!" Then she whacked Harry with the last one. It wasn't painful, but Harry's eyes were wide as he backed away.

"What did I do?"

Adeline picked one up from off the ground, hit him with it again, unrolled it, and shoved it in front of him. Harry's own face was scratched and bent. The moving picture showed him leaving his trial. "I've waited two months to see you. I laid as low as possible. I kept out of trouble. I was excited. every. single. night. thinking about seeing you again. Beyond anything I've ever felt. This is how you repay me? An expulsion trial!"