Chapter 18

A few awkward days passed between them as they took it slowly to heal following the Quidditch match. Dinner was a big help as it stabilized them. They shared more apologies, and it was like they took down a wall that Harry had put up between them. Well, everyone. But he took Adeline's down.

Adeline understood why Harry was acting the way he was. And Harry felt he had someone to talk to if he needed to.

"I just don't want this to take me over," Harry said. "I want to be myself again."

"I can tell you from experience, the best thing you can do is to be your true self. That's what drove out my darkness the most."

"I'll try," Harry said.

"And that's good enough."

They both chose to forgive each other and move on cautiously. They didn't ignore it, but talked about it when it was necessary, but they also didn't dwell, and in doing so, they both felt better.

Maybe they could get the hang of this whole relationship thing.

Still, Harry's spirit visibly dampened with each detention spent with Umbridge, and it set Adeline aflame. She never hated a person more than she hated Umbridge. Ever. At least her own father bought her things and brought her to fun events (though it was his only redeemable quality). But Umbridge was so horrible, Adeline had to leave her wand in her bedroom so she wouldn't hex her in the middle of class.

On the following Wednesday, Harry received a note during lunch. Adeline had been absent for breakfast.

'Come to the forest after detention if you can.'

Well past ten, Harry arrived in their special place to find a fire, but no sight of Adeline, to which Harry frowned.

"Hey you," Adeline called from his left. Harry spun around to find she was lying on a hammock that was pinned between two trees. She had a book laxed in her hand as she peeked over it to meet Harry's eyes. "Surprise!"

"Hey you," Harry said back, walking over to her. He put his bleeding hand behind his back out of habit.

Adeline swung her legs so she could stand. "I thought it would be helpful if you slept."

Harry looked at it, then at her, a genuine but soft smile finding its way to Harry's lips. "Thank you."

"How's your hand?"

Harry frowned, trying to suppress the tantalizing fear that Adeline was going to judge him or hurt it worse or leave. But then Adeline reached into the picnic basket and pulled out a few bandages and a jar of cream off of a stump next to the hammock.

"Can't fix this with a spell. It's Dark Magic. So we have to use the muggle way. Hughs taught me." Adeline took his hand and began cleaning it with a damp towel. "There's hot chocolate over there," she pointed to the stump, "and snacks."

Harry's heart melted. "That's kind of you."

"How are you?"

"Exhausted. Three hours of this—ow!"

"Sorry," Adeline pulled away the towel. "I've never taken care of anyone before."

"It's okay. Really, thank you." Adeline grabbed a bandage and fumbled with it. "Adeline, I can do it."

"No, you always take care of everyone else. Let someone else take care of you for a change."

And Adeline did her best, she really did. The bandage was twisted and barely covered the cut, but Harry kept it wrapped that way anyway, because the effort was so kind.