שבע עשרה

"Who the heck are you?"

You turn around to see who said it, just wanting to confirm you do recognize his voice. And you were right. "Peter Quill?" you ask as you start thinking about how you ended up there.

"How do you know who I am?" Peter asks.

You point at your head, quickly catching your mistake. "Psychic. Sorry to crash here, didn't mean to. Apparently learning to teleport across planets is hard."

"What do you mean you're a psychic?"

You shrug. You've gotten good at this lie by now. "Well, I just get these visions sometimes. They don't normally make sense in the moment. I've seen you a couple times and didn't know why. I knew your name because I've seen people use your name in my visions."

"Okay, where am I from?" he asks.

"Missouri, but it doesn't normally work like that. Anyway, hi, I'm [Y/N] [L/N]. Don't touch ancient relics, you might suddenly become a psychic and be able to teleport. Sorry for intruding, I didn't mean to end up here. Apparently I wasn't focused enough."

"You're lucky to be in here and not out there," Peter says. "Where are you trying to go?"

"Earth. San Francisco, specifically. That's where I'm from."

"And where have you been?" Peter asks curiously.

"Asgard. Someone there offered to help me control my powers. I was supposed to go home and back, but there might be a few extra steps there."

"We aren't anywhere near either systems, so sorry about that," Peter says. "If they were closer, I'd drop you off. So...what are you going to do now?"

"Are you alright if I stay here for a bit?" you ask. "That was really tiring, teleporting lightyears away. I'll try to go back, but can I rest for a while?"

"Sure, it's not like there's much else I could do," Peter says. "Want a drink?"

***

After a few hours, you wake up to the sound of "Hooked on a Feeling" by Blue Swede playing at the other end of the ship. The music is faint, but you're a light sleeper. And you'd probably be waking up soon anyway. You feel much better now. You walk past the mess you made when you cleared off Peter's bench (he told you could do it since you didn't want his bed (that just seemed weird)) and towards the music so that you could tell Peter you were leaving. Before you get there, the ship violently shakes and you hear a loud crash.

You hear Peter coming to you as he cusses. "What was that?" you ask when he's in sight.

"Someone's shooting at us," he explains as he rushes past you to the cockpit. You follow him since those are the only seats with seatbelts. You sit in the seat next to him and strap in as Peter starts messing with the controls in front of him. "Lucky for us, I'm the best pilot in the galaxy."

"Are you now?" you ask playfully.

"Maybe you'll have a vision about it."

You roll your eyes. "I knew you were a good pilot, but 'best pilot in the galaxy' is a strong description."

"That I'll live up to."

It feels weird watching everything from inside the cockpit. You're used to watching space battles from the outside. Can you imagine if they only showed Han Solo's perspective while flying the Millenium Falcon? No, because you want to see the fight from outside. Otherwise you get a little dizzy, and you aren't quite sure what's happening, as you are now. You gain a newfound appreciation of pilots as you sit in this battle.

"So...why would they be shooting at us?" you ask Peter.

"Probably because I stole something from them?"

"What did you steal?"

"Look, all I have left from Earth is a walkman. And those things don't last decades. I've had to find ways to fix it over the years. And I kinda stole a part to fix it just now," he explains.

"Why did you steal it? Why didn't you buy it or something?" you ask, a little annoyed.

"I tried, and they wouldn't give an offer. But I have more of a use for it than they do."

You shake your head. "Alright, just get us out of here alive."

"Can't you teleport away?"

"I ended up here instead of Earth because I couldn't focus. If I couldn't focus while in a near silent library, I'm not gonna be able to focus here."

"You should work on that," Peter suggests. "You're gonna want to teleport if you're in a tough spot, and you'll need to be able to focus."

"I know, but I also don't normally teleport off planet," you tell him as he fires at the attacking ship. You watch the explosion as you fly past. "Now that that's done, I'm gonna try to get out of here."

You stand up and give Peter one last look. "Seeya later maybe."

"Yeah, seeya."

You close your eyes and focus on your apartment. "Could you not stare? I don't like you watching me like I'm gonna mess up."

"I'm not doing that, I've just never seen someone teleport before," Peter says as he turns away from you.

You take a few deep breaths. Focus. Focus. Focus. You really do miss Earth. It will be nice to go back. Of course, you can't really talk to your friends about anything now, not now that S.H.I.E.L.D. wants you to be secretive. That sucks. But you might be able to talk to one of the Avengers, tell them about Asgard. Steve would listen to you.