שמונה עשרה

"Ah, crap," you say when you realize where you are. Very much not your apartment. Very much a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility. You look around and see a camera facing you. "Hi," you say, waving at it. "Sorry, I'm obviously not where I'm trying to go. Teleporting across lightyears is hard. So if you could tell me where I am to give me an idea of how far I need to go, that would be great."

"San Francisco," a familiar voice says behind you.

You whirl around with a grin. "Steve!"

"It's good to see you, [Y/N]." The two of you hug for a moment. You lean against Steve's shoulder, once again exhausted from teleporting so far. "You alright?"

"Just tired," you answer as the two of you break away. You take a moment to examine Steve's uniform, which is nearly identical to the one he will wear in The Winter Soldier. "I like the new uniform. More S.H.I.E.L.D.-y."

"Yeah, I ran into some issues with the bright colors pretty fast. How long are you staying here?"

"Not long. I was supposed to go to my apartment, but this has been my second try and I'm not doing that well I guess. First I end up on a random spaceship, and now here."

"Well, we're just outside San Francisco, so you're pretty close," Steve tells you.

"Thank heavens. I don't know how much of these long-distance teleportations I can do. It's exhausting. I can go over to my place, sleep, and go back to Asgard. Hopefully."

"How long have you been outside Asgard? Should someone have looked for you?"

"Well, it seems Loki got his beliefs on humans from Odin, the king. It may be illegal for me to be on Asgard, and there may only be three people that know."

"That's fantastic," Steve says, annoyed.

"One of them can see everything in the universe or something along those lines, so he's probably watching me now just in case. And he's the one who opens the bifrost, so if I was in danger he'd send Thor to help me," you explain.

Steve nods. "I need to leave now anyway, do you want me to take you anywhere? Or at least lead you out of the building without running into any of Fury's classified stuff?"

"No, I should teleport myself. This whole thing is about me learning to focus on where I want to go. The farther away, the more focus I need. Apparently I don't have enough to go from Asgard to Earth. But I do have enough to get from Asgard to an alien spaceship and from that to here."

"Those are still massive distances, so you still did good," Steve says with an encouraging smile.

"Thanks. That helps a lot," you tell him with a smile. "Well, I should go."

"Yes, same."

"It was really good to see you! I don't know when I'll be back on Earth again, but hopefully it's soon." You hug Steve one last time before stepping back and closing your eyes.

"Good luck," you hear Steve say before you disappear.