עשר

You and Steve walk into the lab. Tony is sitting on a table looking at a monitor, Bruce behind him. Fury is in front of them. "Yeah, then you get your Cube back. No muss, no fuss," Tony tells Fury. Something pops up on his monitor. "What is 'Phase 2?'"

Steve and I set down the Hydra rifles on another table behind Fury. "Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the Cube to make weapons," Steve claims.

"Sorry, we had to do something more than wait for a computer," you tell Tony and Bruce.

"Rogers, [L/N], we gathered everything related to the Tesseract," Fury starts. This does not mean we're making-"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony shouts. "What were you lying?" Tony says as he swings the monitor around to reveal plans about using the Tesseract to create weapons of mass destruction.

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit," Steve says bitterly.

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asks Natasha as she and Thor walk in.

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" Natasha asks Bruce, dodging his question.

Bruce chuckles. "I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki is manipulating you," Natasha says calmly. You take some deep breaths before glancing at Loki's scepter, knowing that it is manipulating the emotions of all of us. Stay calm, don't let Loki get the better of you.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Fury hesitates before he speaks. "Because of him," he says while pointing at Thor. He glares at you, nonverbally telling you to not say anything about the events of Captain Marvel. Thor wasn't the first alien S.H.I.E.L.D. encountered. Fury's been working on Project Pegasus since he met Carol Danvers and recovered the Tesseract. But Fury doesn't want anyone to know about that. And, if I'm trying to not let anything change, I have to not say anything. The Avengers have to form.

"Me?" Thor asks, confused.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned," Fury explains.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor says defensively.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled." He says, looking at each of us, all threats S.H.I.E.L.D. watches over.

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Steve asks.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war," Thor counters.

"A higher form?" Steve asks.

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with something," Fury defends.

"A nuclear deterrent. Because that always calms everything right down," Tony interrupts.

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark," Fury counters.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep-" Steve starts.

"Hold on. How is this now about me?" Tony asks defensively.