עשרים ושלוש

Jane grabs your hand, and you close your eyes before teleporting her and you a few yards away from Loki. You stare at your feet as Thor cradles Loki's 'dead' body. I have never done something so awkward. He's alive, Thor! Did you think to check his pulse, huh? Did you? He's frickin alive, but I can't say anything. You hope that you look less awkward and more guilt wracked. Jane stands next to you, worried as she watches Thor mourn.

A storm starts to pick up, and a powerful one at that. Pebbles start flying through the sky, and you have to cover your face before you get hit with a handful of gravel. "Thor, we need to get under some cover!" you shout, grabbing Jane's hand and Thor's shoulder. Thor sets Loki back on the ground before giving you a nod. I should be WAY more concerned that we're leaving Loki's body here, but, if he isn't dead, I guess I'm doing him a favor? I mean, he might get pelted by rocks out here, but that's better than being buried alive. You teleport the three of you to the cave you and Jane hid in. You had thought you saw something brightly colored in there earlier, and you hope that it was a can from the place Jane and Darcy found.

The first thing you do is hug Thor when he stands. "I'm so sorry, I should have been able to foresee that and stop it." You did in fact 'foresee' it, but you couldn't stop it. And you aren't going to tell Thor about Loki not being dead.

"If you didn't foresee it, you could not have done anything," Thor says. "Don't blame yourself."

"You don't blame yourself either," Jane says, hugging Thor as well. She says it while clearly distracted, and you can't blame her. Not after what she saw before Malekith left.

"Are you alright Jane?" Thor asks. It's the first time he's had to talk to her after the Aether was removed by Malekith. The process looked painful, and then she ended up in the middle of the battle.

Jane shakes her head. She leans on a shelf-like cavity in the wall. "He's gonna unleash it. Not just on Asgard, or on a star. Malekith is going to destroy everything."

"How?"

"I saw him on Earth when he took the Aether. Why would he go to Earth?"

"The Convergence," Thor says, realizing Malekith's plan.

"Oh, God." Jane's voice is regretful as she stands. "None of this would have happened if I hadn't found the Aether."

"Then Malekith would have only possessed it that much sooner," Thor reassures her.

"I only found it because I was looking for you," Jane admits. You smile a little. That is sweet. "Now we're trapped here."

You take this as your queue to butt into the conversation. "I sense that won't be for long." Right as your sentence finishes, Jane's phone rings.

Jane looks around, confused. "It's not me," Thor says, confused as to what is making that sound.

Jane pulls out her phone and answers the call. "Hello? Richard? Where are you?" You and Jane start looking around the cave, clearly having found somewhere with a connection to the Convergence. "Oh my God, this is amazing. How am I getting service here? No, no, no. Please, whatever you do, do not hang up the phone." You skirt around broken glass, pointing it out to Jane. "Uh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Just, stay on the phone, okay?" Jane walks up a little farther and stops in her tracks. "Oh my God." You look over and see an aluminum can, probably one of the ones thrown by the kids Jane met.

You step in front of her and find a set of keys. "These yours?"

"No, no, no. Nothing at all," Jane says as she nods.

You toss her the keys before gesturing to Thor to follow Jane. "Where are we going?" Thor asks. "Why are there so many shoes in here?" Jane grabs Thor's hand. "Hold on," she tells you, and you grab onto Thor's other hand. The three of you walk forward through a rip in the fabric of the universe, dropping in front of what is apparently the building Jane was in earlier.

Her car is still there, so the three of you pile into it. "Who's Richard?" Thor asks.

"Really?" You hold yourself back from laughing about that. Seems more funny in person than it was in the movie.

Jane unlocks the door and quickly opens it, speed walking with you and Thor right behind her. "Jane!" Darcy shouts, hurriedly standing. "You can't just leave like that. The whole world is going crazy. All the stuff we saw is spreading." You and Thor linger by the door as this exchange happens, Thor hanging Mjolnir up on the coat rack. "Did you go to a party?" Darcy asks as Jane takes her Midgardian jacket off.

"Erik?" Jane asks after turning around to see Selvig at a table.

"Jane! How wonderful!" Selvig says happily as he stands and hugs Jane. Not wearing any pants. "You've been to Asgard," Selvig observes, looking at Jane's clothes.

"Where are your pants?"

"Oh, he, uh, he says it helps him think," Ian answers.

"Okay, well, I am going to need everything you got on this. All the work you've been doing on gravimetric anomalies, everything," Jane insists.

"Okay," Selvig says as he turns towards his research.

"Are you well, Erik?" Thor asks.

"I second that question, Doctor," you add.

Selvig laughs for a second before suddenly getting serious. "Your brother's not coming, is he?"

Thor hesitates before answering. "Loki is dead."

"Oh, thank God!" Selvig says before amending himself. "I, I meant I'm so sorry." Selvig smiles as he hugs Thor. When he releases him, he turns to you and hugs you.

"Oh, um, thanks?" You haven't exactly talked much with Selvig, so it feels awkward. The fact that I was mind controlled too and didn't end up with the same things as Selvig makes this even worse. He lets go and starts working on gathering his information. Within five minutes of introductions between you, Darcy, and Ian, and Jane's explanation of Malekith and the Aether, everyone is standing around a table.

"Malekith is going to fire the Aether at a spot where all the nine worlds are connecting," Jane explains.

"Amplifying the weapon's effect," Selvig deduces. "For each additional world, the power will increase exponentially. The effect would be universal."

"But the Alignment is only temporary," Thor starts. "He must be in exactly the right place at the right time."

"Otherwise, he'll be unable to affect multiple worlds at once," you add.

"Well, how do we know where that is?" Darcy asks.

"We follow the directions," Selvig answers. "This has happened before, thousands of years ago, and the ancients were there to see it." Selvig grabs a map and shoves some stuff off another table. "All the great constructions, the Mayans, the Chinese, the Egyptians. They made use of the gravitational effects of the Convergence. And they left us a map." Selvig grabs a marker and ruler and starts drawing lines on the map. "Stonehenge, Snowdon, the Great Orme, these are all coordinates taking us here." Selvig points at the lines' intercept, and everyone leans in to read it.

"Greenwich?"

"The walls between worlds will be almost non-existent. Physics is going to go ballistic. Increases and decreases in gravity, spatial extrusions. The very fabric of reality is going to be torn apart," Jane explains.

"And we're the only ones that know about it. How are we going to get civilians out of Greenwich?" you ask.

"Not everyone ran head first into New York," Selvig states. "People will start fleeing the minute something happens. But we should give them some warning."

"How? It's not like a Tweet can do this," you say.

"You should focus on civilians, [Y/N]," Thor suggests. "Try to get them out of there when we arrive. And when Malekith comes, you might need to help them escape.

Selvig looks at his watch. "We don't have long. I better get my pants."