שש

The next day

Your headache had gone down quite a bit from what it was when you first woke up. You stopped using the prescription medications the S.H.I.E.L.D. doctor whose custody you were put under and went to ibuprofen. Even then, you only take it when it gets bad, which isn't very often.

No one has any good idea as to how you ended up near Agent Sitwell when you fell unconscious in Loki's grasp. Some physicists say that perhaps energy from the Tesseract brought you there, but that makes no sense. You and S.H.I.E.L.D. have no reason the Tesseract can randomly teleport people across large distances when it's locked in a case designed to not let energy in or out. A slightly better idea is that Loki can track you somehow, so he dropped you off as a trap. By far the ideas that make you the most worried have to do with the Scepter. Some speculate that you're mind controlled and are acting as a victim to fool S.H.I.E.L.D. Those individuals have repeatedly sought to lock you up in the large glass cell (that Loki will soon occupy), though Fury has repeatedly shot that down. Some think you're mind controlled but don't know it, and will eventually betray S.H.I.E.L.D. without realizing it. They also want you locked up as a safety measure. Others think that the Scepter can allow Loki to see and hear what you see and hear. They also want you locked up. A lot of people want you locked up. Some people have tried to lock you up. Luckily, Fury disagrees.

You hope he's making the right decision.

How could you know if Loki can track you? If you are his eyes and ears? If you are unknowingly mind controlled? You don't if any of that is possible, because no character has ever been in your position. But if it is possible, you could never know. It might not be a risk worth taking, letting you loose in the helicarrier.

You tend to stay in your quarters. You've officially moved out of the med bay and into regular quarters. If you stay there, you can avoid suspicious or pitied stares that you get from almost everyone. Fury, Coulson, Hill, and Sitwell are the only exceptions. And Fury and Coulson were both in New York, recruiting Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. That left Hill in charge of the carrier. And you don't want to be anywhere near Sitwell, that double crossing Nazi piece of crap. And you're still emotionally recovering from being kidnapped and almost mind controlled. It's not like you can get over that in five minutes. And if you are Loki's eyes and ears, you hope he likes The Hunger Games. If you're unknowingly mind controlled, it's hard to betray everyone when you stick to your room.

Someone knocks on your door quietly. "Unless you're Fury, Coulson, Hill, or sent by one of them, pretend I'm dead. Leave your flowers and get out," you shout from your corner, sitting on the bed and hugging your knees.

The door opens and you look down at your feet. "Sent by Fury."

Wait a second. You recognize that voice. You look up and see Natasha Romanoff. "Oh. It's you."

"You know who I am?"

"Psychic, remember? I know who you are, Agent Romanoff." You stand up hesitantly. "What does Fury need me to do?" You try to not sound too excited, but Black freaking Widow is talking to you!

"He just wants you to greet the newcomers."

"Captain Rogers and Doctor Banner?"

"Yeah, how did you-"

"Psychic, remember?"

"That'll get some getting used to. How much do you know about the future?"

"Not a lot," you lie. "Names of people. General of gist of things. Some small glimpses of events. Nothing much, but enough to predict some things."

"Fair. C'mon. We'll be in the air soon." You follow Natasha to the landing platform. On the way you keep close to her and avoid making eye contact with anyone. She seems to notice. "Haven't gotten such a warm welcome, have you?"