שמונה

You, Steve, Thor, and Natasha go back to the bridge while Loki is led to his cell by several guards. After not too long, Bruce joins everyone in the bridge while Fury goes to Loki's cell. Everyone feels the tension as they sit or stand around the table, watching the security feed of Loki's cell. 

"In case it's unclear," you can hear Fury say off camera as Loki walks from the center of his cell towards the wall closest to Furt, "if you try to escape, if you so much as scratch that glass-" You hear gusts of air coming from the sides of Loki's cell as he calmly looks down at the opening in the floor beneath him. "-it's thirty thousand feet straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works?" Fury shouts before closing the hatch. "Ant, boot," he adds, aggressively, to which Loki responds with light laughter.

"It's an impressive cage," Loki says, gesturing around him, stepping back to the center. "Not built, I think, for me."

"Built for someone a lot stronger than you," Fury answers. You feel bad when you see Bruce nervously fidget. 

"Oh, I've heard," Loki replies, looking directly at the camera (like he's on a threatening version of The Office). "A mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you, that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?"

"How desperate am I?" Fury repeats. "You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh, it burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share in a brighter future. And then to be reminded what real power is." He glances at the camera knowingly when he says, "warm light for all mankind to share in a brighter future." The warm light crap is supposed to be for Tony, I know that. Brighter future? He didn't say that before. Is he talking about me?

"Well, let me know if real power wants a magazine or something," Fury responds as he leaves. You close out of your screen showing Loki.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce starts sarcastically.

"Loki's gonna drag this out," Steve says. "So, [Y/N], Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army, called the Chitauri. Not from Asgard, nor from any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth, in return, I suspect, the Tesseract."

"Chitauri?" you ask in feigned curiosity. You pull up a drawing app on your phone and make a rough sketch of one with a stylus. "You mean these things?" you add, holding up your phone for Thor to see. 

"Yes, that would be one of their warriors," Thor confirms. 

"I've gotten flashes of them before, along with several other non-humans, always in conjunction with objects I think may be similar to the Tesseract. Powerful, wanted by so-and-so, who wants to take over or destroy or whatever. I've only seen the Chitauri in relation to the Cube and Loki's scepter," you explain. 

"An army, from outer space," Steve replies, annoyed.

"So, he's building another portal," Bruce deducts. "That's what he needs Erik Selvig for."

"Selvig?" Thor asks in concern. 

"He's an astrophysicist," Bruce explains.

"He's a friend," Thor counters.

"Loki has him under some sort of mind control spell or trance or something," you elaborate.

"Along with one of ours," Natasha adds.