Chapter 5

The inside of the house was very quaint. Two bedrooms, a kitchen, a drawing room, and a charming lanai. Each room was cleaned spotless and not a thing was out of place, you could almost see it sparkling.

"Impressive." Alastor said admiring the cleanliness. "Not a speck of dust anywhere."

"I take it that you're pleased by my work Mr. Boudreaux?"

The young man and his sister were greeted by a short and darling looking woman who carried a duster in one hand and a spray can in the other.

"As soon as Miss Rosie told me you were coming, I made absolutely sure that this house would be perfect."

"Are you the maid she sent in?" Alastor asked.

"Yes sir. I'm Niffty."

"Alastor and this is my sister Beth."

"Oh well isn't she the most adorable thing in the world." She gave Beth's cheeks a squeeze. "Cuter than a bug's ear."

"Uh...Thanks." Beth said trying not make her irritation at the maid's gesture evident.

"You two must be hungry from your trip. Would you like some tea cakes?" Niffty produced a tray of freshly naked, yellow cookies. "Made them myself. My mother always said that the best way to welcome someone is with a treat."

"No thank you. I don't really have a sweet tooth." Alastor said.

"I'll take one." Beth said, and by one she meant five.

"I'm so grateful that you'll be helping Miss Rosie this Summer." Niffty said. "Poor thing has had it very rough these last few years and could use some good luck."

"If I may ask, what happened to her?" Alastor asked.

"Oh well first her miserable, good for-nothing husband Frank leaves her for another woman and then that ghastly circus moves in here, trying to steal not only her customers but her cabaret as well."

"Steal?" Beth said.

"Well technically he wouldn't be stealing it if she signed over the rights."

"Signed over what rights? Would you mind filling in a few blanks?"

"Oh sorry. I forgot! You're new so you don't know the story. Valentino, the owner of that circus is trying to pressure Miss Rosie into selling the cabaret to him. Now why he wants it is a mystery to me because he has his own successful business, but that cabaret is all Miss Rosie has. It would be a down right sin to take it away from her."

"What's his circus like anyway?"

"Oh it's a disgusting display. Positively revolting. If I had children I'd never expose them to such terror."

Alastor put his hands over Beth's ears.

"Is this some kind of x-rated circus or something?" He asked.

"Oh no, nothing like that. Just something that takes people with a deformity, dresses em up as mythical creatures, and put em out there for everyone to make fun of. But that's only my opinion. If you find things like his circus entertaining, that's your right."

"Well I wouldn't say that but I may have a peak at that circus just to see what kind of competition I may be up against."

"In that case his next show is the day after tomorrow. Brace yourself." She warned. "Now Mr. Boudreaux, would you like me to help you unpack your things? Get settled in?"

"No. That's not necessary, You've done enough." Alastor pulled out his wallet and handed Niffty a ten dollar tip. "Thank you for taking care of the house."