Chapter 123

"Thank you for volunteering again Beth." Said the librarian Mrs. Coleman. "The children love it when you read to them."

"I like it too." Beth said slipping her book back into their book bag.

"And today's story was especially lovely. Did you really write it yourself?"

"Yes I did." She put the book bag on her back and fastened a helmet on to her head.

"Amazing. How did you come up with a story like that."

"Oh, it just came to me." Beth giggled. "Well I gotta get home now before my folks worry. Goodbye Mrs. Coleman."

"Goodbye Beth, give my regards to your parents."

"I will."

After exiting the library, Beth hopped onto her bike and started to peddle down the main street of town. As she passed the ice cream shop, the florist, and the book shop, she waved to the merchants and pedestrians, all of whom waved back. In the past three years, since that Summer, Elisabeth Boudreaux had become a well-known and beloved resident of Chant de le Mer. She was a good student, a friendly girl, and very talented. Almost everyone in town liked her. Beth's appearance had changed over time

She had also grown up very lovely. She had gone from thin and clumsy looking to rosy cheeked, bright green-eyed, and flawlessly peach-skinned with her long, red hair rippling down her back like a scarlet water fall. Boys in her class were already taking an interest in her but she decided to wait a few years before dating because she was too focused on other things like her grades and helping her family at the cabaret. But she wasn't lonely, had made many friends over the years. One that was especially surprising.

"Hey Beth!" Waved Yvonne as she was exiting a clothing store with her mother. "Beth wait!"

Beth stopped her bike.

"Hi Yvonne, what's up?"

"Mom and I bought you this while we were out."

It was a summer scarf made from sheer fabric that was a mixed color of aqua and emerald green.

"Thanks Yvonne." Beth said wrapping the scarf around her neck.

"You like it."

"I love it."

When Yvonne's mother told her about how Beth's mother was murdered by her father, Yvonne felt terribly guilty and ashamed for how she treated Beth. She eventually apologized to her and avoided her. Too guilty to even let herself be seen by her and Beth did hold a grudge for sometime. But once Rosie revealed to her that Yvonne's father had abandoned her and her mother for his mistress and that since then he had be making false promises to see her, Beth decided to forgive and forget. She offered for the two of them to start over and they had been close friends ever since.

"Hey do you wanna go out to dinner with me and my mom?" Yvonne offered.

"Not tonight. I have plans. I'm going down to the beach to collect seashells. But thanks for asking." Beth politely declined.

"Beth when you say that you're going down to the beach to collect seashells, are you waiting for your brother again?"

"Maybe." But anyone who knew Beth, knew that it was an automatic yes.

"You really miss him huh?"

"Yeah I do." She sighed. "But I know he's going to come back."

"Don't take this the wrong way Beth, but are you sure about that? I mean when my dad left he always said he'd come back for me and well, we all know how that turned out."