Chapter 17

Charlie still felt unsure about this whole thing. Growing legs and exploring the human world was one thing but living with a human whom she had just met? That seemed a little unorthodox and this was coming from a real live mermaid. But for the good of all human beings and her sanity in regards to an impending betrothal, she would go along with this despite her skepticism. As she waited for Beth to return she decided to take a moment to practice using her new legs. Carefully she tried to stand on them. Boy did they feel shaky, walking and standing was not as easy as it looked. In fact she ended up tumbling over herself a few times.

"Okay this will obviously take some getting used to." She thought. "How do humans do this? Do they take lessons or something?"

"Charlie we're here!" She heard Beth call. "Alastor you wait there while I get her dressed."

"Did you have to use one of my best shirts?" She heard a man's voice ask.

"It was the only one that would hide everything."

Beth draped a long, white, button up shirt over Charlie followed by trying to make her hair look not quite as messy.

"Now when you meet him be sure to give him a good smile." Beth instructed. "My brother's first impression of people is always based on what kind of smile they have. Why? I don't know, it's one of his quirks."

"Alright."

Now covered, Charlie sat herself back down on that dry rock, carefully arranged her hair to where it wouldn't hang in her face, and spread her lips to form her best smile.

"Okay Al you can come out." Beth called.

He walked toward them with his hand over his eyes.

"Hello ma'am. My name is Alastor Boudreaux. My sister has informed me that you are having difficulty in securing proper lodgings for yourself. I will gladly assist you in locating a suitable abode for the evening if you wish."

"Alastor you can look. She's decent." Beth said.

"In that case." He started to slowly lower his hand from his eye sight. "I must apologize for my sister's impulsive invitation for you to stay in our house. I'm afraid I can't comply with-"

But once he had Charlie in his sights he was rendered completely speechless. Even in the state she was in with her hair in disarray and wearing nothing but a shirt that was too big for her, her beauty was remarkable. Her golden locks that appeared finer than silk, her blossoming rosy cheeks, her pearly white skin, her delicate frame, her eloquent eyes that twinkled between shades of blue and silver, her perfectly innocent smile. She looked just like an angel. He couldn't recall a time he had ever seen a woman more beautiful.

She too found it hard to speak. Her breath was caught in her throat because in the light of the morning sun, she could see his features so much better and with him being awake she could see the emotion that were expressed in said features. His rugged brown hair caught swiftly in the salty air, his well balanced movements, his cheerful dimples, his tone which had been kissed by the sun, his considerate brown eyes, his smile which was a mix of humor yet politeness. She could see why any woman would mistake him for a prince.

But there was something else that had them so very stunned. When their eyes met a sense of familiarity and nostalgia rose up inside of them. As if they had met before once, and were now trying to remember when and where. There almost seemed to be this instant connection between them and right away they were feeling drawn to each other. A desperate need to know more about who this person was.

"Hi..." Alastor said trying to remember how to talk again.

"Hi." She replied. "My name is Charlotte but please call me Charlie."