Chapter 102

When Valentino looked into the mirror, he could already feel the great and evil power flowing from the glass and into his veins. All that loneliness, sadness, anger, greed, and lust that had been absorbed by the mirror was like rejuvenation to him. He sucked in the misery and found it to taste ironically very sweet.

"What a pretty picture." He admired his reflection in it. "At last it's mine. All mine. With this in my possession, nothing can stop me now."

"So you're done with Angel right?" Vaggie asked.

"Oh yes of course." He said. "I left him back at his apartment. He'll wake up by tomorrow morning, but you won't be seeing him again anytime soon."

"I know." Vaggie bit back her tears.

"And to make sure that you never ever go against me again." He raised his hand and a sudden, unseen force sent Vaggie flying into an open cage. The gate slammed shut and was locked tight. Vaggie quickly stood up and shook the bars.

"What are you doing?"

"You didn't really think I'd let you just get away with this rebellion of yours, did you? From now on you and Husk, are going to spend the rest of your lives in cages, until I need you to perform."

"We're not animals!"

"That's a matter of debate, oh and if you think that you can't just shrink down into the ball of fire and fly out, don't bother. These cages are enchanted to block all use of magic. You're completely trapped. Trapped for the rest of your life. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick up the newest edition to our show."

"What newest edition?"

"Why the little mermaid of course. We made a deal."

"No! She wouldn't do that! I told Charlie what your deals are like! She wouldn't be that foolish!"

"She would if the deal could possibly lead to you and all the other freaks being granted freedom."

"What?"

"That's right! The deal was if she told Alastor that she was a mermaid and he accepted it, then I would set you all free. But if he ended up rejecting her, then she's my slave for all eternity. It's all written down here in blood."

He made the contract appear and allowed Vaggie to read the terms and Charlie's signature. The fairy was horrified.

"No. Oh no! You bastard! Why can't you just leave her alone?! What could you possibly need her for?!"

"Longevity my little fairy. Whomever drinks the foam that a mermaid dissolves into has three hundred years added to their life span. Charlie won't last long under my control and when she finally croaks, I'll live for eon!"

"That'll only happen if Alastor rejects her! And what makes you so sure that'll happen?"

Valentino struck the mirror, shattering the glass into a million pieces and he whipped up a wind to gather up all the fallen shards. Each shard was then placed back into the mirror except for one especially small shard that he caught between his fingers.

"Once I put this in his eye."

"What's that going to do?"

Valentino snapped his fingers and an image of Alastor and Charlie appeared on stage.

"Watch and see. Mr. Pentious!"

"Yes sir."

"Fill up a bucket of water and come with me."

...

At closing time, Alastor, Charlie, and Beth decided to walk back to the house since it was such a cool and pretty night. They did try to find out where Vaggie had disappeared too but she was no where to be found and Angel didn't pick up when they called.