Chapter 63

Since Husk would be off the next day, Vaggie would have to make up the show by dancing two acts instead of one. Which wouldn't be so bad, if Valentino didn't already keep her up day and night, only allowing her a quarter of rest. Nevertheless she had no choice in the matter. Sore and tired as she may be, the show had to go on. However this show wouldn't be different just because Husk was not present and Vaggie would be dancing longer. Also adding a difference was a certain audience member who would be witnessing the spectacle.

Angel had become much too curious about how Vaggie looked in a full on performance to stay out of the tent any longer. Her dancing at the festival had impressed him so much, he simply had to see how amazing she moved when there was a spotlight and a crowd. So an hour and a half before show time, Angel sneaked into the tent and hid underneath the benches where customers would sit. Through the cracks of the stairs, he could see the whole show.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Valentino announced when the spotlight shined on him. "Welcome to my circus of voodoo tricks and Cajun freaks!"

He opened his hand and blew a puff of smoke into the audience. The smoke rose up high and created images of legendary creatures such as dragons, fairies, phoenixes, unicorns, and many more. The illusions amazed the crowds and they applauded for him.

"Here the world's greatest myths and legends become real." Valentino continued. "Monsters and fair folk, creatures of lore who are rejected by society, find a home here with me and I turn them into shinning stars to be adored by the very people who turned them away!"

"Yeah right." Angel muttered under his breath.

"Now some of you may say that I am a fraud. That my acts are just smoke and mirrors, mere parlor tricks and nothing more. But please, allow me to defend my good name by presenting you with a real life mythical being, the prettiest ornament on my display, Le Feu Follet!"

In another puff of smoke, one much bigger, Valentino vanished and in his place there appeared Vaggie wearing a fancy costume that consisted of a stiff gown, a headpiece, and a pair of large, extravagant wings. The audience was clapping and cheering for her already. Fanfare music played and the crowd'as excitement only increased as they watched the fairy dance. With each step she took, the wings on her back fluttered and she flew a few feet off the floor, a trick that impressed even Angel.

"Now how did Val pull that one off?" Angel wondered as he tried to find the wires that he suspected to be attached to Vaggie's back.

He found no wires, but he did notice something that wasn't right. Blood. There was blood on the floor and it was dripping from Vaggie's feet. Her feet were so sore that they were beginning to bleed. He could also the bags and dark circles under her eyes. She looked as if she had snot slept in weeks.

"Holy shit!" He almost screamed out loud. "How hard has Valentino been training her?"

Her first act went perfectly but the second was going to be a disaster. Because Vaggie had to perform two acts, in a row without a break and had barely been given enough rest as it is, combined with the agony she felt her feet, she just couldn't keep her balance any longer.

"Valentino I don't think I can keep this up." She whispered to him as she struggled to glide with her steps.

"You'll keep it up for as long as I want you to!" He whispered back harshly.

"But I'm getting dizzy! Oh!"

As she was doing a twirl, her feet became tangled in the heavy skirt of her dress and she fell flat on her face. The music stopped and everyone stared at her, there was a long awkward silence. Then in a terribly low, disgusting, and heartless attempt to impress the crowds by any means, Valentino snapped his fingers, making Vaggie's entire costume vanish, leaving her in just her bra and panties. She stood up in sheer horror and her arms covered covered herself instantly.