Chapter 12

Beth tried not to focus so much on Yvonne's words. After all, looks didn't matter anyway. All that was really important was how you looked on the inside. That's what she always believed. So why did she suddenly feel so self conscious about her appearance?

"So how was your first day?" Alastor had asked her when he picked her up.

"Fine." She half truthed. "Mr. Haskett introduced me and he seems pretty okay."

"Make any friends yet?"

"Not yet."

"Well people hardly make any friends on the first day anyway. I know I didn't."

"Alastor can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you think I'm...Pretty?"

"Pretty what? Pretty smart? Pretty well-mannered?"

"Just pretty."

"Oh. Well yes. Yes I think you're pretty. Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering."

But Alastor wasn't completely convinced.

"Did something happen today?"

"No. Can't a girl just wonder about appearance?"

"Yes but you never have."

"Well today I noticed that a lot of girls in my class were wearing make up and nice clothes. In other words they didn't really look like me."

"Beth no one looks like you."

"I mean none of them had freckles or red hair."

"So that means you're not pretty?"

"Nevermind. It was a stupid question to ask."

"Well hang on if something is bothering you-"

"Nothing is bothering me. I just noticed that the girls in my class dress differently than I do. It's nothing to get upset or worried about. Can we just forget the whole thing?"

"If you say so." He accepted reluctantly.

"So listen I was wondering if I could go swimming this afternoon? Is that alright?"

"Well I don't have to leave until 5:30 so I don't see why not. But once I leave you come out of the water and back to the house. Understand?"

"I understand. What time will you be back?"

"Late. Probably around eleven or midnight but I'll have Angel bring you something for dinner at seven."

"Oh no don't leave me alone with him."

"He's just going to drop off dinner for you and go."

"Why couldn't just fix me something to eat earlier and save it for me to have later?"

"I thought you want something fresh."

"Liar! He's your snitch! You're sending him to check up on me!"

"Alright you caught me." He said. "I just want to make sure that you are staying out of the water when I'm not there."

"You don't trust me?"

"No. I know how obsessed you are with the ocean and you have a rebellious streak. I wouldn't be smart to trust you."

"Fair enough."

When they came to the house, Beth immediately put on her swimsuit and went down to meet Charlie by the shore. She had gotten Beth's message in a bottle and arrived right on time, both girls were ready to confide to the other about today's events.