Chapter 33

The diner Vaggie took them to was a cheap but decent place. Small yet not crowded, clean and excellent service was provided, but best of all was the food. Or at least that's what Beth said. She ordered a big stack of Belgium waffles topped with strawberries and cream, then ate it like a ravenous wolf who had been denied meat for a week. 

"These are fantastic!" She said. "Alastor never lets me have sweets."

"I wonder why." Vaggie said sarcastically as she took note of the child's pig-like appetite.

"Beth you didn't tell me that you weren't supposed to have sugar." Charlie scolded. 

"No I said he doesn't let me have sugar."

"I'm not expert on people but when a parent or guardian refuses to give a child sugar, isn't it normally for a good reason?"

"Not in Alastor's case. He hates sugar and will not allow it in his household. Except for on my birthday but that's once a year and you're only a kid once so that's cruel."

"I guess that explains why the kid is stuffing herself like this." Vaggie said.

"Beth slow down, you're going to make yourself sick." Charlie said. 

"So what if I vomit, we have indoor plumbing."

Charlie held back a giggle. She and Vaggie just order a simple breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast. Food which Charlie had never eaten before and she ended up loving every bite of it. Well she had eaten eggs before they were fish eggs rather than eggs from a chicken and they were never cooked, she had eaten bread but never toasted or with a spread like butter or jam, and bacon was definitely something not found under the sea. 

"So crispy and salty." She said munching on the bacon. "I've never had this before. What is it again?"

"Bacon." Vaggie said. "You've never heard of it?"

"Nope."

"Hmm..." Vaggie said thinking. "But you know what pigs are right?"

"Pigs? What's a pig?"

"Oh you've never heard of pigs either? Interesting. Tell me, what do you eat for breakfast?"

"Usually salmon and sometimes fish eggs."

"Sea wood for breakfast? How unusual. I'm guessing you live awfully close to the ocean. Clsoer than most maybe?"

Charlie quickly picked up on Vaggie's tone and realized what she was up to. 

"Beth could please get me a refill." Charlie handed her the empty glass.

"Sure." 

The girl left the table and waked over to the counter. As soon as she was gone, Charlie leaned in close and quietly asked,

"You know don't you? That I'm-"

"Not a real human being?" Vaggie quietly confirmed. "I'll admit you're very convincing. Any human could be fooled by you but not a fellow creature of myth like myself."

"I knew it. You're not human either. I could see in your eyes."

"And I could see what you were in your eyes. You are what my kind calls, a daughter of the sea."

"And what are you?"

"I have many names. The Spanish and Latin American culture from which I originated from call me La Anjana.  But the English and the Americans simply call me the Fairy or the Pixie or the Changeling. Here specifically I'm called the Cajun Fairy or Le Feu Follet."

"You're a fairy?"

"Yes."

Charlie looked at her skeptically.