Chapter 51

On the Wednesday of that week, while Beth was out with Angel and Vaggie she noticed a man standing outside The Claire de Lune. He was sweating like he a camel in the desert and he was shaking like a rattlesnake, and his eyes were completely fixated on Rosie who was wiping down tables. Beth wondered why that man was spying on her. It made her concerned.

She left the arcade and cautiously approached the man. It was Husk.

"What are you doing?" She asked him.

"Uh nothing!" He jumped.

"You know it's illegal to stalk people."

"I wasn't stalking. I was just waiting." He said. "And what are you doing talking to me kid? Don't you know you're not supposed to talk to strangers?"

"Don't you know you're not supposed to stare at people?"

"I was not staring at anyone."

"Yes you were. You were staring at Rosie. I saw you."

"I'm waiting for her to let me in for my audition. I'm applying to work as an employee at her cabaret."

"Oh really? What do you do?"

"None of your business."

"Does she even know you're out here? Because if she doesn't and she catches you staring at her, she'll think you're a creep and call the cops on you."

"Why are you even talking to me? You don't even know me."

"I saw you staring at Rosie and I want to make sure you're not some stalker who's going to kidnap her or something. I know she's a pretty lady. Lots of guys stare at her."

"Kid I'm no stalker and even if I was, you'd be stupid to confront me like this. You're a little girl, I'm a grown ass man. If I was a creep I could have kidnapped or hurt you. Next time you worry for someone go tell another adult, don't go getting yourself into trouble."

Beth eyes scanned Husk's form, she studied him carefully.

"Okay I get it now." She said.

"Get what?"

"You're not a pervert, you just have a crush on her and you don't know how to talk to her. I should have known, you react the same way the guys at my school when they like a girl."

"Oh will you get out of here? You don't know what you're talking about so scram. Go on, go on back to your mother. I'm sure she wouldn't want you talking to a strange man on the street."

"I don't have a mother."

"Then go back to your father."

"I don't have a father either."

That's when Husk became as perfectly still and his gruff demeanor slowly fell.

"You...You don't have any parents?" His tone was softer now.

"No. My mother died a long time ago and as for my father...Well let's just say I couldn't stay with him. The only family I have is my older brother."

"Oh...Gee I'm...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be insenstive or anything,I just assumed that most kids have parents in the picture."

"You assume correct. Most do. I'm just the few who don't."

"Look I really don't mean to be jerkass, at least not now anyway, but I really don't think you should be talking to me. A little girl talking to a middleage man on the street, alone, doesn't look good. Espeically to the police. I'm only trying to shoo you away because I don't want to spend the night in jail."