Chapter 96

The restaurant that Alastor took Charlie to was one of the most popular and romantic in town. It was a dimly lit, medium-sized room with red-oak flooring, an intricately designed tin ceiling, and a fireplace that cast an ethereal glow. The two of them were seated in the corner near the window and where they could hear music at just the right level of sound. Not too quiet or too loud to spoil the mood.

"It sure is nice here." Charlie said admiring the decor.

"Yes it is." Alastor agreed, nervously drumming his fingers on the table. "Classy but subtle."

"Have you been here before?"

"No. But Angel has and he recommended it to me. Let's hope this is one of the very rare, good recommendations."

A waiter approached the table and took their drink orders. As if on cue, both Charlie and Alastor reached for the menus and read them quickly.

"Everything looks delicious." Charlie said. "What are you craving tonight?"

"Oh um...I don't know." He said trying to stop his fingers from moving so much. "I...I...I think I might try the stuffed crab. What about you?"

"Well I've always wanted to try this steak, that everyone around here says is so good."

"Splendid choice."

He felt his mouth getting dry and took a quick swallow of his water.

"Alastor is something wrong?" Charlie asked him. "You seem a little flustered."

"Oh don't worry about me my dear. I'm as fit as a fiddle."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

She raised an eyebrow at him.

"What?"

"You have your elbow in your water." She pointed out.

Alastor blushed upon finally noticing that he had planted his elbow into his glass.

"Oh! Silly me!" He chuckled, raising his arm. "I suppose I am a little bit distracted."

"By everything that's happened recently?"

"Something like that."

"You're worried about Angel, aren't you?"

"Kind of." He half-truth. "Angel's always been a very resilient fellow but the way he's acted since Vaggie's accident, well I haven't seen him this upset in a long time."

"Do you want to give him a call? Just to check in on him?"

"No. I'm sure in the end, he'll be alright."

"Well do you mind if I give him a call? Just to make sure that Vaggie is still okay?"

"Of course. I saw a pay phone just down the hall."

He handed her a few quarters and she went to make the call. To her relief, Vaggie was awake and able to talk on the phone with her for a few minutes, telling her that she was checking out as they were speaking and to stop worrying and to enjoy herself. With that reassurance given, Charlie returned to the table feeling completely relieved. The waiter had came back just as she was taking her seat and the couple ordered their food. Dinner was marvelous, Charlie enjoyed every bite of her meal and after Alastor paid the bill, they went down to the local theater to watch a show.

It was the ballet known as Giselle. A tragic story of an innocent peasant girl who falls in love with a nobleman, but his deception leads her to death and he desperately searches for her spirit. Then ghosts of broken-hearted maidens betrayed by their lovers, suddenly appear to torment the nobleman, forcing him to dance until he dies from exhaustion. However the spirit of his love comes to save him and forgive him, thus allowing her soul to be at peace. Watching a ballet was a whole new experience for Charlie. Seeing a story be told just through music and dance, with no words spoken at all, she never thought such a thing was possible. But it was and she was so very glad that she had the opportunity to witness it.