Chapter 8

Charlie led Beth to an underwater cavern that had been formed just a little ways from the cove. Once inside she saw some random items; a watch, a camera, a whistle, binoculars, and an old shoe.

"This is just a portion of what I've collected since I've been here." Charlie said "You should see what I have back home."

She placed her most recent finding next to the watch.

"My bracelet!" Beth said. "I thought I would never see it again!"

"So that's what this is called. Well here you go."

She handed it back to Beth who slid it onto her wrist.

"You wear that on your hand?" Charlie asked.

"Yes. Haven't you ever worn a bracelet before?"

"No."

"Do you wear any jewelry?"

"I wear this."

Hanging from Charlie's neck was a big white pearl which was connected to a silver chain studded with lily flowers carved from porcelain.

"What a lovely necklace." Beth marveled.

"It belonged to my sister. It was given to her on her 15th birthday but years later it was passed on to me when I turned seven."

"My brother gave me the bracelet for my sixth birthday. It's my favorite and he's my favorite person in the whole world. Are you and your sister close?"

"Not exactly. She died before I was born so I never knew her."

"Oh gee I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I'm not the one who took it the hardest anyway. That would be my father. He never really recovered from losing her and because of that he's always been so confining."

"Confining?"

"Since I was born he's always insisted that everyone follow his rules and see the world from his view point. He despises human beings, anything to do with them, and he just expects everyone to feel the same way. Including me. I love my father but as I grew older I found myself becoming more restless and frustrated with his ways."

"Sounds rough."

"When my father decided to have me mate with a merman from Eldritch, the kingdom at the bottom of the North Seas, I realized that I couldn't take it anymore. So I swam away from home."

"Isn't that a bit rash?"

"I'm not a child anymore. I'm an adult, it's about time that I go find my own place in the world. Besides I couldn't possibly go through with his genocidal revenge scheme."

"Come again?"

"The Magne and the Eldritch are the two most powerful mer kingdoms in the entire ocean. If I was to mate with the son of the leader of the Eldritch domain thus uniting it with my father's domain then two could use their powers to flood the earth, wipeout humanity, and make our kind the dominant species."

Beth looked completely disturbed.

"No offense but is your father insane?"

"Now you know why I swam away."

"So if you don't get together with this merman your dad picked for you, he can't make that happen?"

"Nope. His powers alone aren't strong enough and the leader of Eldritch will only consent to a power share if I become his son's mate."

"Does he have any other daughters that he could possibly give to him?"

"No. All my sisters have mates and merfolk only take one mate."