Chapter 29

Back at the cabaret, Charlie was doing her best to keep Alastor's mind off of Beth by telling him everything she knew about each creature that lived under the sea. Now normally Alastor could have cared less about marine life, he was never really fond of the ocean, but something about the way Charlie explained it kept him very entertained. She described each living organism in such great detail and enthusiasm. She spoke as if she had spent her entire life around these animals.

"You know it's pity you never went to college." Alastor said. "You would make a wonderful marine biologist."

"What's that?" Charlie asked.

"Oh good lord, my dear, what professions do they teach you in that commune? Do you at least know about doctors?"

"Yes. We don't use them though, we use medicine makers."

"How many people in this commune are still alive?"

Charlie giggled.

The next amateur act was a band and they were actually pretty good. They played jazzy swing music which was among Alastor's favorite type. Soon the customers were getting up from from their tables and dancing.

"Would you like to dance?" He offered to Charlie.

"I would but..." She nervously fiddled with her hair again. "I don't know how to dance."

"It's actually easier than most people think. Here I'll teach you."

His hand took hold of hers and he led her over to the center of the room where all the other couples were dancing. He kept holding her right hand, placed her left hand on his shoulder, and moved his right arm to her waist. She gave a quiet gasp at the unexpected touch.

"Are you alright?" He asked her.

"Yes, I'm just not used to this and I'm a little worried that I might end up embarrassing myself."

"To tell you the truth sweetheart, there's really nothing embarrassing about using movement to express yourself. That's all dancing really is you know. It's the way your feet smile or laugh. It's a language that's felt instead of heard."

"I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Just let your emotions tell your body what to do."

Charlie did just that. At first her steps were very shy and apprehensive, her feet just moved forward and back very slowly, she was so scared of looking like a fool. Then just as she had feared, she did something silly by stepping on Alastor's foot.

"Ouch." He said.

"I'm sorry." She shrunk back. "I knew this would happen. I'm so stupid and clumsy."

But instead of scolding her, he started to laugh. Her self-consciousness grew.

"You're laughing at me."

"No! Ha-ha! Not at all!" He chuckled.

"Yes you are!" She argued. "You're laughing at me right now!"

"No it's not you. I'm laughing because this is reminding me of when I tried dancing the first time."

"Oh?"

"I was six years old and it was Easter Sunday, the local church was having a special lunch after sermon and when everyone started dancing, Mother insisted that I share dance with her. Heaven help me, I must have trotted on her foot countless times and I spun myself right into the dessert table of all things. I was covered head to toe in sticky frosting and powdered sugar. Bleh!"

"Did everyone laugh at you?"

"The adults tried not to, the other children didn't hold back, the reverend tried to hush everyone, but I felt like crying. It was the most humiliating moment of my life. I was so sure Mother was going to scold me. But instead she cut herself a slice of that sickeningly sweet Easter cake, shoved it right into her face, and pulled me in for another dance."