Chapter 42

Day after day, the prince became more and more smitten with the mermaid's beauty and innocence, and her kindness and passion made her become very dear to him. As dear to his heart as the little princess was. However it was a different kind of fondness. The prince loved the princess, his sister, as a good little child. While his feelings for the mermaid were feelings that he never thought he'd know.

He began to yearn for the maiden of the sea, he yearned to have her as the only woman he could devote himself to. To give himself to her completely. To value her above all others in his life. To give her his whole heart and soul. Yet he was still unsure of his feelings and what they meant. And furthermore he was not certain if he could bring himself to value anyone above the princess sister he had cared for.

But what the prince had yet to understand was that the princess would soon be blossoming into womanhood. It's a very difficult time when a little girl starts to become a young woman. Her body changes, and she starts to care about things like her appearance and what others thought of her. It was a time where a mother would have to be the one to guide her, not an older brother.
...

It was cleaning day for Rosie's cabaret and Charlie and Beth had offered to help. The wiped down tables, swept the floors, dusted the furniture, washed the windows, cleaned the bathrooms, they did so much cleaning that around 1:00, they had run out of soap fluid. Alastor offered to go buy some more, Charlie went with him, Beth stayed behind to have a quick lunch break with Rosie. When she finished her meal, her stomach began to feel odd so she went to the restroom.

"Oh my God!" Beth screamed so loud that she almost caused Rosie to fall out of her chair.

"Beth? Are you okay?" Rosie called.

The little girl came running out of the bathroom with panic written all over her face.

"Alastor!" She screamed. "Alastor! Alastor!"

"Alastor isn't here honey." Rosie explained. "He's still at the store."

"Call the 911!"

"Why? What's the matter?"

"I'm bleeding!"

"Did you cut yourself?"

"No! I just started bleeding! Something's wrong with me! I have to go the hospital!"

But Rosie theorized that what had frightened Beth did warrant medical help.

"Beth how old are you?" Rosie asked calmly.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Just answer the question."

"I turned eleven two months ago."

"And is your stomach hurting a little?"

"No it's hurting real bad."

"Uh-huh, and where are you bleeding?"

Beth didn't answer, she only looked downward with an uncomfortable expression, which was all the confirmation Rosie needed.

"Just as I thought. Come with me upstairs now."

"What? Why?"

"Because what you need isn't a trip to the hospital. What you need is my great Aunt Blanche's, rose water, bubble bath. It'll clean off any stench, keep the chill off your bones, and ease those nasty stomach cramps."

"A bubble bath? How is a bubble bath going to stop me from bleeding to death?"

"You're not bleeding to death. I know exactly what's wrong with you and I'll tell you all about it after your bath."