[Insert Witty Chapter Title Here]

Harry and Hermione were sitting at a small internet cafe outside of King's Cross, editing an introduction video for 'Mione before uploading. The two had made the video after being kicked out of the house, so Snape and Sirius could explain to Madam Bones how, why, and what exactly happened on Halloween of 1981. The two had gone to the local park to film before playing tag.

Now, the students were waiting for 9:45 before going to platform 9 ¾, so they weren't the only ones on the train. They were also wrapping up the leftovers of their breakfasts as well as a treat for Ron; they were bringing three sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits onto the train to eat later. Editing was finished quickly and the video was posted before they cleaned up their table and made their way to the train station across the street. They got through the barrier and onto the train with no issues. They were searching for an empty compartment when Neville waved them over.

"Hey! I thought we could all sit together this year! I wanted you guys to meet someone!" Neville grabbed Harry's hand and dragged them along to his compartment where a blonde girl, a second year, was sitting quietly and staring out the window. She turned when they entered, flashed them a radiant smile, and picked up a small magazine from beside her.

"Did you want me to leave?" Her voice was airy and light, but a hint of loneliness could be heard. It really pissed Harry off.

"Nah, you're just fine, hun! How 'bout you show me what you have there?"

"And we've lost Harry. Their mama bear instincts have taken over," Harry flipped her off over their shoulder. The girl introduced herself as Luna, she/her pronouns for the time being, and genderfluid. She then began to excitedly show Harry the Quibbler's newest issue she had with her. "We're just waiting on Ron now."

It was at exactly 9:58 when Ron burst into their compartment, looking as ruffled as ever and tripping over his own feet. He dropped into the seat next to Harry after waving at Luna, trying to catch his breath from the mad dash to get on the train before it left. Luna merely smiled at him and went back to explaining what a crumbled horned snorkack was to Harry.

"Sorry! Percy's new owl refused to be put in his cage."

"It's alright Ron."

"I'm guessing Harry has adopted Luna?"

"Yup. Went full mama bear. Honestly, both of them deserve it," Hermione caught sight of the small grin Harry flashed.

The train ride was peaceful for the most part, Draco tried his annual insult-fest, but quickly realized Harry could and would outdo his insults with ease. After that, the ride was lovely: Ron and Neville played chess, Luna napped against Harry's shoulder, and Hermione and Harry were talking about DADA and potions for the year. Hermione had taught them about the differences in slicing, dicing, etc. They were determined to do well this year!

They were about ten minutes from the Hogsmeade station when a tired man opened the door to their compartment. He wore a patched brown jacket over a white collared shirt, patched brown pants, and a pair of old dress shoes. He had scars criss-crossing across his face and sandy blonde hair. The most defining feature was the absolute shocked look he had as every teen in the compartment had their wands pointed at him, ready for anything.

"Whoa! Ok, it's alright! I'm the new defense teacher. There's no need for violence!"

"First off, there's always a need for violence. Secondly, why would the new teacher be on the train? The teachers always get to the school early."

"I had business in Diagon today, so I decided to take the train. I have my class schedules in my pocket, if you'd like me to prove it."

With a gesture from Harry, Ron stepped forward and grabbed the schedule before handing it back to Hermione. She relaxed after flipping through the pages. The others lowered their wands at her gesture.

"I'm Professor Lupin. I wanted to inform you all that we'd be at the station in about ten minutes."