Chapter 1

I watched my mother pace back and forth, her hands gripping the collar of her shirt anxiously. It's just me leaving town. Not a big deal.

"Mom..come on! It's been two years in this damn town and there's no one I don't know!" I pleaded, eyes watching my mother hopefully. Maybe this time is the charm.

My mom turned to me, looking me up and down, shaking her head. "I don't know if you're ready yet, Lucy. You're so naive and sweet. You don't know the dangers out there! Maybe someone could come into town, and he, or she, could be your-"

I cut her off, putting my hands on my hips. "Do you want me to be like my sister? Huh? Is that it?" I shouted, crossing my arms and glaring at her. "Never to find love, to get kicked out of the town, the country-" I stopped talking when I felt a sharp sting across my right cheek.

I didn't mind her slapping me, I probably deserved it. At least, that's what she told me.

"Don't talk about Brinley." she shouted at me, clutching her shirt as if it was the only thing keeping her from crashing into tears.

I felt extremely bad for mentioning my sister, but I was going to end up like her if I never found the one. It's common knowledge that anyone who doesn't find love by age 19, is a useless person who just takes up population room. They're then kicked out of the country to keep population low.

"M-mom.." my voice wavered before I took a deep breath. "Do you remember how fearful I was going into the hospital, to get my new heart? Do you? I remember my feelings. It was horrifying, I thought I wasn't ready, and I was in the very end. I learned about this heart mom, I know what to do, I know how to travel, they taught us all this!" I said, my voice getting stronger the more I spoke. "Please mom, all my friends have moved, they found them. I just..I just need to find someone who wants to travel with me."

I looked around the little one floored house sadly. It was a small, little thing. Cream colored walls, hardwood floors, the usual decor for people in this town. A few pictures of me and mom hung on the wall.

"Lucy, I don't know. I..I need some time to think about it, you understand right? The latest I'll tell you is tomorrow morning. I promise." she looked at me hopefully, and I nodded.

"Yes mother. Please, think about it and, make sure to eat. I'm going out." I said before opening the door and shutting it softly, looking around the old town sadly. The town, though I hated to say it, was a piece of shit. The houses were falling apart, people were moving out. The only ones here were older folks who are too old or can't afford to move into a nursing home.

I started in the random direction of north and looked up, taking large steps as I traveled down the path that I used to walk with my mother when I was younger. It wasn't even more then a few minutes before I bumped into someone and I frowned, my eyes landing on a girl just about my size.

"Sorry." I winced. "Can I help you?" I asked her quietly, tugging at my shirt.

"Yeah, you can." she said, scowling at me. "You, you're leaving this piece of shit town soon, aren't you?" Her eyes scanned the town sourly, a sneer firmly placed on her face.

I gave her a confused look before nodding slowly. Okay, that was a lie. "Yeah, and you're asking me this, why?" I asked her defensively, looking at her hair. It was a mess, tangled, knotted, looking as if she hadn't brushed it in a few days or so. Her face was grimy, her clothing slightly ripped. Was she on the run or something? Then again, she could just be a really avid hiker.

"Yes!" she hissed under her breath before realizing I was still there and gained back her sneering and cocky composure. She then pointed to me, giving me a sly grin. "Take me with you! We're partners now!" the girl proclaimed.