Chapter 22

Killian and I turn our heads toward the doorway, seeing Dustin and Talon standing there.

My eyes find Talon's, and I turn away, embarrassment shooting through the roof.

Though, I turn back and wave to the two, giving them a smile, grateful for the distraction on what Killian was probably going to ask the burning question that Quinn, Dustin, and Killian had in their minds.

What had happened?

That was a question I'd prefer not to answer, but as Killian and Dustin's eyes focused on me, I felt the gnawing pressure to just tell them.

"...Hi."

Dustin raises an eyebrow, walking over to sit on the loveseat opposite to me and Killian. Talon soon follows, keeping his head down.

I squirm in my seat, my hands finding my shirt to reassure myself that this is real.

"Am I allowed to be out here as well?" Quinn asked nervously, stepping out into the living room. Automatically, she turns towards Talon, and he moves over to give her a seat.

I move my eyes to the wall, staying quiet. An awkward silence soon falls, the only sound was of the low thump of the outside music.

Killian coughs, sending all eyes towards her. "Alright. This is really boring so, Lu," she turned her head towards me, and I felt everyone's eyes follow from her to me. "What happened? Talon won't speak. He's been really quiet ever since Sunday."

"Wait a minute, what day is it?" I asked her, panic threading through me.

"Um, well, Monday, but now it's Tuesday, according to the clock." she said.

I stay quiet for a moment. "The date is, what?"

"The 27th, Lucy." Quinn answers this time, her voice concerned for my questions.

I nod numbly. Tomorrow. I turn 18. Tomorrow. It's surreal, I've been on this journey since June. Yet no indication that I've found him or her yet.

"So, uh, I don't really know what happened. At the club." I lied, turning away my eyes.

Killian nods, as if she believes me. "That can happen, for your first hangover."

"I can tell you." Talon says, standing up. He doesn't meet my eyes, but I fear of what he'll say. "She was just a normal drunk person. Emotional, squeaky voice, flirty."

I look at him, clutching my shirt. I feel sick, and I suck in a deep breath. Had I ruined my relationship with Talon? Again? I touch at my throat, wondering how high-pitched my voice was. "Talon? Can I talk to you?"

He looks at me, shrugging. "Sure, Lucy."

Another sick feeling.

He follows me into the kitchen, and I speak in a low voice. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, please don't hate me. Maybe we aren't meant to be friends or anything, because I keep messing up. I'm sure you'd rather catch up with Quinn instead."

He raised an eyebrow at this, leaning back on the counter boredly, like he's heard the same apology from me before. Which he has. "Luce," He sighs, sitting on the countertop, crossing his legs. "First of all. You were drunk. Second of all, you weren't wrong. I do want to catch up with Quinn,"

A third sick feeling.

"Third, I wouldn't trade this friendship for anything else. You hear me?" he says lowly, leaning forwards to create his point.

I nod, resisting the urge to pull away and create more space. "I understand." I say softly, nodding.

"So stop acting like everything's your fault, please."