Chapter 27

I stare blankly at the van's inside, not even wincing when my tailbone hits the metal bench that I'm sitting on. I curl my fists together, slamming one of them down onto the bench. I hate myself. If it wasn't for me, then Brinley wouldn't have gotten shot.

I doesn't matter. I don't feel much right now, anyways. Not after Brinley.

I don't know how many hours it's been since Lily and Julian shot Brinley and took me away. I don't even know where I'm going.

Honestly, I don't care.

I swung back and forth as the van braked. The familiar thump of music intruded in the van's metal covering, bringing back memories of Rose Central.

Is that where we are?

The door opens, revealing that it's evening, the sun low, behind the buildings, casting long shadows on the pavement. The music's thumping became louder once the door opened.

So we were in Rose Central.

"Time to get out, doll," Julian says, waiting for me to get up.

I turn to look at him, my eyes blank. I stand up, wobble slightly, and make my way off the van, following the Soul Reapers silently, my head low.

"You know, it's great to see you again, doll--aren't you going to talk?

I didn't move anything. My legs were, somehow, propelling me forwards to follow them.

"Well, whatever. You're going straight to the questioning room."

I wanted him to shut up.

"Follow me, doll."

He grabbed my wrist, and I glanced at it, a emotion of disgust making it's way on my face. I made no effort to tug it away, though. Resisting is useless.

He led me through the hospital-like halls, people sitting in their corners of the cells, their heads on their knees. The ones that weren't moping in the corner stared at me curiously, probably wondering what I did to get called here. I know I would. He stopped for a moment, staying silent.

My eyes looked on the right, seeing an empty cell. What was he looking at? I looked to the left, staring blankly at a boy sitting in the corner, moping like all the others. Head on knees, barely breathing, slightly shaking. He looked familiar, but we were moving again before I could really look at him. Julian's grip tightened on my wrist, starting to pinch it. I didn't say anything.

The real miracle is that I could still feel pain.

We came to a cold, metal yellow door, obviously locked until Julian fished out his keys, putting them in the lock and twisting.

I stare at the linoleum floor, hearing the loud click of the lock and the creak of the door opening. He walked me inside before finally, letting go of my wrist.

The door creaked shut, the lock clicked, and I was left alone in the room. The room was highly air conditioned, giving me chills. I rubbed my arms, sitting in the metal chair, putting my hands on the table in front of me. Besides the table and the empty metal chair, the wall was covered with a mirror. One-way mirror, probably. I wondered who stood behind it.

"Ahem..is this thing working now?"

I don't say a word, keeping my eyes forwards. My hair covered my face, making a small curtain for it. Must be coming from the loudspeaker somewhere in this room.

"Lucy, if you can hear me, please answer. It will go faster if you cooperate."

Nothing from me. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.