Chapter 29

Lily grabbed our arms and took us to a waiting room. Inside the room were people like us. Scared and crying people.

The room was terribly bland, the only color was the red door in front of us and the orange of the people's shirts.

I swallowed thickly, fear overtaking me. I gripped Talon's arm tighter, and he glanced over at me, the same way I was.

"Luce, it'll be okay. We'll probably go on the same..whatever they use to take us away," he said, but he didn't sound very convincing.

"...Yeah."

"Luce?"

I stepped forwards a few inches as the line moved. "Yeah?"

"Um, I wanted to tell you that you're probably one of the best friends I've had. We'll get through this, okay?"

I stare at him, my cheeks going slightly red at his words. "Same here, Tal. I know that I was kind of a bitch at the beginning, but..I.." I shuffle my feet, looking down at my feet. "I wouldn't trade you for anyone."

"I wasn't that nice either, I guess."

I look back up at him, giving him a small smile. "Yeah, I guess so."

The line moved forwards again. I tried to look above us, but all I could see was solem people, some sniffing, some crying.

"Honestly, I thought it would be faster than this." Talon grumbled, moving forwards. "Like, how long does it take to ship someone off?"

"Don't you want it to be longer? Why would you want it to be short?"

"I hate the waiting process. I bet you it's the worst part. It's going to be real nice out there. We'll do fine." he said reassuringly, grabbing my hand.

I stare at his hand, and nod slightly.

The line moves forwards more and more, until we're past the red door. We're outside now, the sun just starting to set.

There's multiple large planes with landing strips. I watch as one plane takes off, going somewhere into the sky, to wherever it takes the poor people on the plane.

I watch as people are practically dragged away from each other, screaming, crying, fighting to be with each other. I stifle a small cry, covering my free hand with my mouth. "Talon.." I whisper, hands shaking. I feel sick.

"Luce, please, it'll.." he trails off, not even him able to keep his good attitude. "I don't know what will happen. We'll be on the same plane, okay?"

I nod shakily, shutting my eyes. "R-right..."

Eventually, we get to the front of the line. The female looks at me, and a spark of recognition lights up in her eyes. "Lucy?"

I stare at her, unsure of who it is. "Francine..?" I guess, watching her smile before it faltered, glancing at the clipboard.

"Correct. Uh, Lucy, you're on Plane CB-56. Talon.."

"Plane GH-78." her voice falters, starting to turn away.

I stare at her, grabbing her arm as the team comes to take me away from my friend. Away from him. "Francine! Please, don't them take us away from each other.." I sob as she wrenched her arm away.

Francine grips the board tighter,dropping her head.

"Lucy?" Talon asks, making a grab for my hand.

I reach out in response, my fingers grazing his. "Talon!" I screech, ripping the police's hands off my arm. I start to run, only to fail and fall on the pavement. Hands grab at my hair when I fall, trying to tug my upwards.