Chapter 10

"Killi, Dusty, you guys can take a break now, if you want." I called out to them, waving my arm at them.

"Alright, let me just pull over," Dustin called back, jerking the RV to a halt once safely on the side of the road. 

"Wait, I can drive, we still should get Rosa to Orrienshire.." I faltered, watching as Killian and Dustin shook their heads at me.

"You don't need to." Killian stated, sitting on the seat opposite from mine.

"Rosa is the daughter of Dr. Earl! We obviously need to." I exclaimed, looking down.

"Come again?"

"Rosa is the daughter of Dr. Earl." I repeated for both of them, lifting my head up to see their expressions.

"So we're now harboring a daughter of the professor. Lovely." Killian groaned, splaying her legs and arms out on the seat.

It was her idea in the first place to take her.

"Do you think we'd be able to ask him questions?" Dustin asked.

"Possibly, Dusty. Possibly." I muttered, my eyes turning towards the scenery outside.

"I'm going to go check up on Talon, then. Tell him the news. Have fun." he called, walking to his and Talon's room and entering.

"So, do you have any questions that you'd want to ask if possible?" Killian asked, sitting up and staring at me intently.

"Maybe. I want to know how, like, we know we can find out soul mate." I confessed, realizing how that sounded. "I mean, I mean, how do we know we're in the right area and stuff!" I quickly fixed it, fiddling with my bracelet.

"I have a question. More for you." Killian stated. "Is that all you care about?' she whispered.

I strained to hear her, though I shook my head. "No, of course not!" I lowered my eyes and thought for a few moments. Was I lying to myself? "I care for you, and Dusty, even Talon." I sputtered out, trying to regain my footing with the conversation.

Killian stared at me, almost sadly, and shook her head slowly. "Sure, I believe you." she muttered, crossing her arms. "I guess,"

"You guess?" I managed to choke out.

"You don't seem very sure. If you haven't noticed, Lucy, you're always racing and you never slow down. It's not a good thing."

"We're not here to tell me what I need to change about myself, Killian." I snapped, my hands falling to my sides as I clutched my shirt.

"You're, no, I'm not telling you to change yourself. I'm telling you to stop being so obsessed with finding your damn soul mate. You won't even make friends with us in the end if you keep being this way! We're just used tools for you to find your soulmate. Then you'll leave us." she shouted, her voice raising by the end. She flung her arms out in a wild fashion, trying to calm herself.

"What are you talking about, I—"

Killian cut me off by sending my a chilling glare. "You claim you want to help others. You never do. When Rosa came, you groaned as if it was a chore. When we went to go find Ink's owner, you groaned about how it's wasting our time. I've seen people who could use help, but you never ask them. You know who asks them, Lucy? Do you know who asks them?"

I shake my head, lowering it slightly as the words sink in.

"Me, Lucy. I ask them. Dustin asks them. Talon asks them. You? You groan and moan and complain about how we need to get going. Then they  refuse our help. All because of you." she snapped.