Chapter 28

Throughout the weeks, Talon and I were taken into questioning repeatedly.

Majority of the sessions were the same. I neither blinked nor talked to Lily, and from what Talon said, he denied everything and anything she said to him.

"Daughter of mine, time for another questioning session," Lily cooed, opening my cell.

I followed her silently, keeping my eyes downcast, even as we stepped inside.

"Once more, Lucy. I've giving you one more chance to change yourself and join us in the ranks." Lily said once she sat down in the metal chair.

I don't say anything. I grip my hands tighter together, hoping she'll lose her patience. I've been hearing my outburst of her shooting an innocent child raise some suspicions about her sanity in the ranks.

She eyed me, heaving out a small, agitated sigh. "I heard what you've said to Francine and the others. They've been doubting me because of your little incident," Lily says, her voice full of accusation.

I shrug, a spark of triumph shooting through me at her words. Maybe they'll realize that she's a cruel and psychotic person, not the kind and cheery captain they know.

She leaned forwards towards me, eyes narrow and full of rage. "Don't you dare say anything to them. Ever," she then leaned back, a smug smile on her face. "Well, you could. What's stopping you?"

I lifted my head slightly, unsure of where this was going. "What..do you mean?"

"It's not as if you could possibly care for that boy across from your cell. Talon, that's his name!" she exclaimed, cheerfully, though her eyes were narrowed and locked onto mine. "Would be such a shame if something happened to that lovely boy," she said sharply, placing a finger on her chin for emphasis.

"...You wouldn't," I catch myself saying, though we both know fully well she would indeed.

She said nothing at this, and instead shrugged in reply, her chin resting on her hands and staring at me eagerly to see my reaction.

"I won't say anything about it anymore. Just don't hurt him. Please," I whisper, clutching the hem of my shirt tightly, a familiar feeling rushing back into me.

She stands up at my answer and giving me a grin, striding around the table silently for a few minutes before stopping and looking down at me. "I..suppose I could honor that, if you promise."

"I can't promise you won't hurt him, so why would I promise that I won't say anything?" I snapped back at her without thinking, glaring. I was tired of her motives of always hurting people important to me.

She glanced down at me, frowning. "You seem to be taking your sister's sass with you. Keep your trap shut and know your place, Lucy,"

I nodded, swallowing. Curse my mouth. "I have a few questions though..would you answer them?" I ask softly, unnaturally watching my tone.

She looked at me for a moment before smiling. "What do you want to know?"

"Why did you only take me out of the group? How is Julian here? Why is Talon here?"

She let out a small laugh, sitting back down in her chair, folding her hands on the table. "One at a time. I only took you because you're 18 now. You don't think I'd forget my own daughter's birthday, would I?" she asked, her voice full of mocking hurt.

I shrugged, clutching my shirt hem. "No," I answered quietly.

"Julian is here because he found me. He practically begged to come join the force. In order to not get thrown out, he would join the force to get protection. More than half of our people here don't have soulmates," she shrugged. "Not that the law knows about it, anyways. They might, but they haven't said anything to me, so,"