1: "Hey, do you mind watching where you're going."

"Flight 414 boarding now, flight to Tokyo, Japan." You grabbed your carry-on and handed your ticket to the flight attendant. "Thank you, ma'am, please enjoy your flight." the lady said.

"Thank you, will try," you said with a smile walking towards your seat. You placed your carry-on overhead and sat down. You put on your headphones and listen to music. You were heading to Tokyo because you were able to find an internship that was interesting for you. "Designing weapons and containment centers for devils... this could be fun and a challenge to test my skills as an engineer." you thought to yourself. Many engineering students went for well-known internships, but the idea of engineering weapons to contain devils thrilled you. You wanted to create a world where people would be safe from devils, even if we as humans were the reason for their birth. Taking this internship, even if far from your home, would give you an edge over your peers who seemed to be far more proficient technically than you. 

All of your classmates seem to excel in all their classes. And there was you, you weren't a terrible student, but university-level work was definitely a struggle. In lectures and labs, you felt as if you didn't fit in, and when you tried to make your presence known, it was as if your peers would guide you through the work. They meant no ill intent, but this made you feel inferior, your technical skills were lacking. So you pushed on, doing everything you could to strengthen yourself so you may pull your own weight. Your goal was to get an internship before you graduate college. You only had three semesters left so you had to act quickly. Fortunately, you met Makima who was a high-ranking public safety devil hunter. She mentioned how she was looking for interns and how she was a part of the safety commission back in Japan. You procrastinated in getting an internship early so this was a perfect opportunity.

You were itching for a change in your life, so you accepted the offer right away. The pay was good considering it was an internship. This meant you would be able to take a small break from your side job that prevented you from getting an internship in the first place. You were willing to do anything to get out of your current situation and get hands-on experience to improve.

The only problem that wouldn't make this internship smooth... your mom. While you loved your mom, she was to plainly put it... overbearing. It makes sense, you were her only child left after a devil attacked your siblings. She didn't want to lose you, but because of the attack, she became super overprotective over you. When you told her you would be flying to Japan, she freaked out. However, she eventually came around, but not without any condition. She demanded that you call her a lot to check in with her so she knows you're safe. It's not a heavy demand, you would've updated her anyways. 

To your surprise, you dozed off. You felt someone tapping your shoulder. "Um... excuse me, ma'am, I'm so sorry to disturb you but we have landed." You opened your eyes, your vision was a little blurry but you looked at the person who woke you up. Stretching out your arms, you decide to stand to try to wake yourself up fully. "Thank you for waking me up, ha... must have been out for a while. Didn't even feel like a 12-hour plane ride," you replied. "Well I'll be taking my leave, thank you once again." You walked out of the plane heading towards the exit of your terminal. You were told by Makima that one of her subordinates would be holding up a sign indicating that they would be picking you up.

As you were walking, you saw someone who was wearing a suit holding up a sign that read, "Waiting for F/n L/n." Well, I think that must be Makima's assistant or something of that nature, you thought to yourself. You start walking towards them directly, slowly approaching them, and spout out, "Hello, my name is L/n, I'm assuming you work for Makima correct?" 

"Hello L/n, yes I do, I hope you don't mind, but may I see some kind of identification form to confirm it is in fact you." You simply nod and hand this person your ID. After confirming your identity, you place your bag in the car and sit in the back seat. "We will be heading to HQ so you can meet with Makima and get started on your work right away. I can drop off your things at your apartment that Makima has set up with you per contract." the worker stated apathetically.

"Sure that's fine, I don't mind, I didn't bring much stuff with me to unpack anyways," you responded.

A few minutes pass by and you finally arrive at HQ in Tokyo. "Thank you so much for the help today, by the way, I don't think I caught your name? I want to thank you properly," you spoke with a smile. The worker quickly responded, "A thank you isn't necessary, I am only completing my job, after all, I don't work for the Tokyo division anyways, this is only temporary until I go back to Kyoto. But if you insist, my name is Yutaro Kurose." he stated, with a faint smile.

"Well thank you for the help Kurose, I appreciated it," you reply back happily. You waved your final goodbye, holding your backpack and heading towards HQ.

"Oh I should call my mom and tell her I made it." you thought to yourself, taking out your phone to dial your mom. 

"Hey mom, I landed safely in Tokyo."

"Oh thank god you landed safely, I miss you already." your mom spoke happily. 

"I'll miss you too, you'll see me after a few months. I'll see if I can fly back to visit you."

 "Are you at the airport right now?" your mom questioned.

"No, I just made it in front of headquar-"

 "I told you to call me when you landed!" your mom huffed over the phone.

"Sorry ma, I found the person who was going to take me to HQ and didn't call until now. Well, I got to go now, love you."

"Love you too, please be safe and call me when you get to your apartment okay. Be safe!" 

You hung up the phone and placed it in your back pocket as you began walking to HQ. However, you were stopped in your tracks when you accidentally bump into someone.

"Hey, do you mind watching where you are going." a stern voice said.

A/n: I know the first chapter is short, but just let it be. The chapters will get longer, I think. Hope you enjoyed it.