8: "Morino Hotel, there has been a devil sighting"

**Manga Spoilers for volume 2, you have been warned.

On your day off, you were watching TV when you received a call from an unregistered number. Normally, you don't pick up unregistered numbers since you kept getting scam phone calls, but you decide to pick this time around.

"Uh... hello? You mumbled into the phone.

"Hello y/n, it's Makima, I know today is your day off but I will need you to go meet Aki and the rest of his squad at Morino Hotel, there has been a devil sighting."

"Oh hey Makima, is there a reason why you're requesting me on my day off?" you reply back. Laying on your back while playing with a few strands of your hair.

"Well multiple devil hunters have not returned from there, and I want you to take notes about the situation. After all your job is never done right, there is always a spark of inspiration that can come from the unexpected." she cooed.

"Can't one of your devil hunters do it? Why must I be there?"

"I have sent devil hunters, and they haven't returned. plus, they can't engineer new uniforms now can they?"

"Well considering they have to deal with the devil, I guess they don't have time for that," you sigh. 

The line went silent as Makima awaited your response, she knew very well that you weren't necessarily needed. However, she knew that you were a devil hunter in the past, and she was determined to place you as one in her division. She knew asking you straight up would not work. You stated multiple times how you didn't want to be placed in harm's way and how you were interning to gain engineering experience. Truth be told, Makima could care less about your inspirations, she had one goal in mind and needed people to accomplish that, you just so happen to be a nice tool she came across unexpectedly.  

With a heavy sigh, "Well seeing as I can't say no... I'll go ahead and meet them there. I expect overtime pay for this," you replied in a half-serious tone.

You only heard Makima giggle and hang up the phone. So am I getting my compensation or what, you questioned. About an hour later you meet Aki and the rest of his team outside the hotel.

You wave at the team, "Hey everyone!" you exclaimed.

Denji and Power run up to you like excited children. You started growing a friendship with Power and Denji after the multiple "babysitting" sessions you had with them. Aki often found himself annoyed with them and one day requested your help with handling them, and thus started the friendship with Power, Denji.

"So, human, it appears you have come to face me once again!" Power exclaimed pointing towards you.

You pretend to be offended, "Human?! I thought we were closer than that?"

"I will beat you at that game of... what's it called again..." Power exclaimed.

"Tic Tac Toe?" Denji responded in an uncertain tone.

"Yes, that one!" Power declared, stomping her foot to assert dominance.

You laughed,  patting Power's shoulder, "Well, I'm more than happy to beat you again, but we might have to take a reign check on that. I hope you're not giving Aki too much trouble."

"Yes, they are. Still don't understand how you can be so buddy-buddy with them." Aki responded grumpily. 

You simply shrug your shoulders and let Aki explain the situation to the team. There is a piece of the gun devil within that hotel and many devil hunters have not returned. After a few minutes of bickering between Denji, Power, and Aki. As well as answering the rookies' concerns with the devilman and fiend, Aki began getting really annoyed. You look over at Denji and Power who seem to be having a conversation of their own.

Denji spoke to Power, "dude is mega pissed off! Must be cuz of that thing from this morning."

Power nodded, "That prank definitely did go too far..."

"It was not a god damn prank! I'll fucken kill you!" Aki fumed.

You gave a side-eye look at Himeno, and as if you both can read each other's mind, nodded in agreement. Aki was scary.

After a few more minutes of bantering and a kiss from Himeno riding the line, the boys-minus Aki- seem very much motivated. Everyone is walking through the halls of the hotel, you stayed behind the entire group just wanted to observe and hoping they could be a shield for you. After all, you were starting to see how dangerous these missions can get and you were worried that you might have to expose your contract with the forest devil.

No one in your family knew you became a devil hunter when you entered middle school. You saw the way your mom was struggling, so you turned to devil hunting to make ends meet. It worked for a while until your mom started questioning where you started getting so much money from. After that, she agreed to let you continue devil hunting so long as they were weaker ones. Of course, you didn't listen since you knew the bigger cash out wherewith strong devils. Thus you continued training and reached for stronger devils to kill.

You reminisce about the dangerous mission you force yourself into. When something brought you out of that trance.

"Aki, it's coming." Himeno spoke.

The door opened, revealing a human face with feet stepping out. 

A/n: it's a short chapter since I think the next chapter is pretty long and I have to break it up into parts. Hope everyone is having a good day or night. Also apologies for any typos.