12: "When we get out, can we be friends."

**Manga Spoilers warning.

Aki has fallen asleep, you are sitting on a chair, writing down notes on your notepad because you aren't trying to get reprimanded by Makima for "slacking off". You catch Himeno glancing at you a couple of times throughout your stay. You were curious, you know she had a lot of questions, for starters how in the world were you able to make trees grow down the hall. These were things you didn't want to answer but knew you would have to. 

Himeno on the other hand, her mind was racing with multiple thoughts. Why exactly does a civilian have a contract with a devil hunter? Why didn't you bring it up sooner? Who else knows about your secret? She also wondered why you were seemingly close with Aki, you were only there for a couple of weeks. What was your relationship with him? She stands up from where she was previously sitting and starts walking towards you. You put your notepad away in your pocket and look up at her.

"y/n, can we step aside for a bit, I have a few questions I want to ask you." You nod, both stepping out of the room.

Himeno turns to you with a serious look on her face. You prayed that this wouldn't bring serious issues between you too, you wanted to befriend her. She meant a lot to Aki and you can see he meant a lot to her as well.

You gulped back your nerves, "Himeno, I know you have a lot of questions about what I did..." you state while pointing towards the trees that were ripped apart by the eternal devil. "I can explain."

"Okay so explain, how were you able to do that?" she looked at you, watching your every move.

"Well to make a long story short, I used to be a devil hunter back in the states. It was my dad who introduced it to me first, and I wanted to impress him so I decided to kill them too. I later find out that it's not so fun.  Then one day I found myself in a big forest, and that's where I met the devil I'm currently contracted with. I was forced into this contract, I would have died otherwise, and I kinda valued my life at that point so I accepted. I never wanted to get a contract. It wasn't all bad though, I was able to make a bit of cash since with the forest devil I was able to kill a bigger devil. This would then propel me into government contracts and get known as the best one in my home country. Now Aki knows, Denji, and you... I feel like Makima might know as well. It would only make sense since she keeps sending me to do missions with you guys." you spilled nervously, Himeno was trying to digest all the information you have blown on her.

After a few moments of silence, "So you used to be a devil hunter..." Himeno said, carefully picking out what words to say next, "Why did you stop if you don't mind me asking?"

"It's a bit personal, but I don't mind. I stopped being a devil hunter when my siblings got killed. I only did it to support my family, I only did it out of necessity. As a kid, I thought it was fun but that quickly changed once I came to realize the true grim nature of the job. Once there was nothing forcing me to stay there, I decided to follow what I assumed would be my dream job."

Himeno hummed, "Would you want to become a devil hunter again... like for division 4?"

"Honestly... no I don't. I was able to leave it, I don't want to endanger my life again, still have a few things I want to do... but I have this dreadful feeling as if I will be forced back into." you sighed, dropping your head in disappointment.

Himeno looked up at you, you can see hints of sadness written in her eyes. "y/n, you seem like a sane person... you were able to get away from devil hunting and get a normal life... even if it was only temporary... Can I ask you something?"

You were curious where this conversation would lead to, you assumed it would have led to her convincing you to stay as a devil hunter. But what she asked next, you weren't sure if you would be able to answer truthfully.

"Does Aki know about your past?" There was a long pause, you nodded in response to her question. "You think... you can try to get Aki to leave the Gun Devil mission... to leave devil hunting and say... go in a job that isn't as demanding? I've been trying to get him to leave, he's too... normal, too sane and I'm afraid he might get himself killed."

"I- I'm not too sure if I can... Himeno," you say defeatedly. You knew she cared for Aki, but to this extent, she wants him to get out of this dangerous line of work.

"I mean, with Denji on his side he might be able to kill the gun devil... but making it out alive from that mission I'm not too sure of." she sighed "However, I noticed he is... you know... a bit more receptive to you... I don't know why, but I feel you might be able to convince him out from devil hunting, there are so many things he has yet to do..."

You place your hand on her shoulder, "Himeno, I don't know why you think I of all people in his life could convince him to drop the gun devil mission. But if you aren't able to do it... I have less of a shot. I'm not that important to his life and he wouldn't listen to me. I only help him out to handle Denji and Power and listen to him rant about those two. You are the other hand... you're his partner on this job, his close friend, if anything you have more leverage power in that aspect. You have known him longer, there isn't anything I could say to change his mind." You reflect back to your conversation with Aki a while back at his apartment. You saw the resolve in his eye to kill the devil that murdered his family and the millions of others. There was nothing you could do to convince that man to leave such an integral part of his goals, it was almost like it was a part of him deeply rooted within him.

Himeno on the other hand was frustrated. Were you just being nice to her or were you genuinely that stupid to not realize how vastly different Aki treats you compared to her? Sure Aki did care and love her, but that was just as a friend. There was a different atmosphere between you and Aki, it was subtle, but an outsider watching could notice it if they looked carefully. The way he talked with you, his persona, it had a slight shift, like he was letting go of the seriousness that he has built up over the years.

"y/n..." Himeno held her hand out, "When we get out, can we be friends and help me get Aki out from this shit?"

You smiled, you knew that would be an impossible feat, but you shook her hand nonetheless. "If we are to be friends, I want to learn more about you. I want to make sure you also live long, you deserve it just as much as anyone else in this room," you state.

A/n: okay I lied, I may publish one more chapter after this. I write them up ahead of time sometimes and write the author's note right before publishing. But I was in the mood to write so I wrote another chapter when I finished this one.  Hope you liked it! Get some rest and stay hydrated!