31: "The Trip is Postponed."

Aki called you in the morning, inviting you to join breakfast at his household. When you arrive, you catch him cooking breakfast for everyone. You offer to help cook, but he suggests just setting up the table. "After all, you are my guest. It would be unfair to make you cook," he says with a smile. 

You hear the door to Denji's room open and see a dispirited blond boy walk into the living room. The room was filled with the smell of pancakes, eggs, and coffee. Denji recently mentioned that he was having nightmares ever so often but wasn't sure what they meant. Looking at his appearance, you figured he had another one last night. 

"Hey Denji," you signaled him to come to you, and in a low whisper, you asked, "Is everything okay? Did you end up having nightmares again?" He sits beside you and nods, "Yeh, another crappy dream..."

"What was in your dream this time?"

"The same thing," he sighs, "I just see a covered door and hear 'don't open it' before I wake up again." You place a hand on his shoulder to console him, "I'm sorry you keep having bad dreams, kid. If they get bad again where you can't sleep, come to me, okay." He nods once more. 

Aki tries to listen into the conversation you were having with Denji. He could tell something was up with him but didn't what to pry the information out of Denji. "I shouldn't even be concerned about Denji, right?" he thought. Aki finished cooking the eggs and placed a portion of the breakfast he had made on two plates. He grabbed them and put one plate in front of Denji and another on the empty seat where Power would sit. He returned to fix up his and your plate next. He also brewed a cup of coffee for you and himself. 

Once Aki sets your plate and mug in front of you, you notice a slight change with Denji. It appears as if he is reminded of something... or someone. It was brief, but in those short seconds, you recognized that look of heartbreak. You wish you could help in some shape or form, but you didn't want to helicopter the boy either. If he needs you, he will come to you. 

"Meowy, your traitor..." you hear Power complain as she holds up the cat and places them on her lap. "You sleep with Denji even now that I am back... Unfaithfulness is one of humanity's most foolish traits."

"Power are you jealous that Meowy doesn't want to be with you anymore," you tease. Hopefully, this conversation will pull Denji out of his head. "Maybe his bed is just more comfortable than yours."

She shakes her head vigorously, "Nah uh. My bed is way more comfortable than his. Meowy is just a big ol' traitor!" She held onto the cat tighter, hoping that the cat would solidify their loyalty to her once again. 

You turn to Denji to see if he reacted positively to the conversation. However, to your disappointment, you still see a slight frown on his face. This was a rare sight; you would always see the blond boy bearing a smile no matter the situation. This time it's different, you wondered, was he finally experiencing a diverse range of emotions after meeting teh girl Reze?

While you tried to figure out Denji, Aki kept his focus on you. He doesn't quite understand why or how you took such a liking to Denji. He noticed you started to care for Denji and Power as if they were your younger siblings. Challenging them in games, teasing them, listening to them, and anything else caring siblings do. This kind of relationship with them started early on and has only grown from there. However, the same can't be said with Aki. He was cold and standoffish the first few weeks they were here. While he has adjusted and gotten used to the company, he still can't help himself from fostering slight hatred toward devils. In fact, he is pretty envious of how you can befriend many devils and fiends so quickly. His mind returns to reality when he hears you call out for him. 

"So Aki, we heading to Makima?" you say as you stuff your mouth with the warm breakfast Aki made. He nods. "Then we better hurry up and finish this meal you made for us," you remark. Everyone stays quiet, finishing their breakfast to prepare for another day of devil hunting.