3: "I'm not working with you?"

**Slight manga spoilers up ahead. 

A few days have passed since Makima's departure and she has finally returned, thus your first day of work would commence. She told you that she would be slowly introducing you to the team since she wanted you to start as soon as possible. You were on your way to Makima's office when you saw a familiar top knot. You don't want to bump into him since he wasn't too friendly the first time you meet him. Unfortunately, he turned around and saw you.

"Oh hey...y/n, right? How is work treating you?" the serious man voiced.

The air was quite tense and awkward. "Um, you guessed correctly, it's y/n. Can't really answer your question since today is my first day."

Aki side-eyes you, "but you've been here for a few days already, what have you been doing?"

You scoff, "Not slacking off if that's what you think. I am supposed to be meeting my new teammates today according to Makima. Although I won't be doing much of the dangerous stuff, I'll just be on the side observing what needs improvements." you say with a smile on your face. You were excited to finally be working and hoping this new environment would let you grow and learn.

Aki smirked, and in a sarcastic tone replied, "Sitting on the sideline, mhh must be an easy job then." 

"I'll have you know, this job is for the betterment of all devil hunters including yourself, so you should be thankful!" you huffed with your arms crossed. You didn't feel as tense as before, maybe he isn't such a bad guy.

"Is that so.. do you want some kind of thank you card or something?" Aki raised an eyebrow, looking at you trying to not laugh at the reaction you were giving. He didn't understand why he was enjoying teasing you, he rarely made friends so easily, let alone joke around with random strangers he just met.

"A thank you note would be nice, yes." you nod. "But that will have to wait since I have to meet Makima right now."

"Well I am off of my break, and I also have to meet her soon. She said she was going to introduce me to someone who will be working closely with me, but I'm going to make the assumption and say it's probably you." Aki replies, pointing at you.

"Well, isn't that nice, I'll be seeing that thank you card soon then." you teased with a devilish smile.

"Hmm, I highly doubt it. Not keen on writing thank you cards on people who don't carry their weight."

As to not give away you were slightly offended at his implication that you wouldn't carry your own, you sarcastically replied, "Gee, are you always this brash? What makes you think I'll be dragging down the team." shaking your head, furiously walking ahead of him to reach Makima.

Aki was about to speak when he got interrupted. "Hello, Aki... y/n, It seems you guys already know each other. So it saves me a bit of trouble introducing you to. However, there is someone else I wish to introduce you to. Makima turned to her side to show some kid with blond hair and pointy teeth. "Denji, this is Aki Hayakawa, and next to him is F/n L/n. These are your colleagues." Makima said, pointing towards Aki and you.

With a disheartened attitude, the blond boy replied, "I'm not working with you, Miss Makima?"

"Of course not." Aki snapped back. "You and Miss Makima are in completely different leagues, we are going patrolling." He grabbed Denji by his collar and started dragging him out.

"Nooo Miss Makima!" Denji screamed.

Makima bent herself to be at eye level with Denji and said, "If you perform well, we will be able to work together. So keep your chin up okay?"

"And will y/n come with us on patrol?" Aki inquired.

"No, not today, she needs to fix some things here at the office, perhaps another day," Makima replied.

You saw the scene unfold, tried your best to contain your laughter. Quite a funny situation was unfolding before your eyes. "Have fun!" You spoke as Aki and Denji left. You turned to Makima, "So what do u want me to do today?" you ask, tilting your head slightly.

"There are old files on the weapons we use and I was wondering if you can file through those before you go out in the field," Makima said in a soft tone.

"Sure sounds good to me, I've done a bunch of paperwork back at home, so it should be easy enough."

"Perfect, the files should be in your office already, well best of luck with those," Makima replied with a smile.

You enter your office and see ten boxes just filled with case files. You open one of the boxes and inspect its contents. You soon figure out this is all research the engineering department has done, but it was all out of order, different projects were mixed together in the same file case. Was Makima really making you do busywork? You thought you came here for a fresh start and wanted to be useful. To gain experience that you could apply when you went back to school.

Well, the sooner I finish, the sooner I can see the devil hunters in action, and the sooner I can get to the real work. You sigh, "man this is going take me all day just to go through, looks like I will have to take some home." You get straight to work, and you are able to get through most of it at your office, reorganizing 7 boxes, putting each project to its respective file. You decide to take the rest home since you are sick of paperwork, and rather get it all done in one day.  

A/n: Another chapter completed, I hope Aki isn't too out of character. But yeh hope you enjoyed it!