28: "Sounds like a plan, Aki."

Aki, Angel, and you are walking around town patrolling the area for any devils that may harm people. "Can we stop for ice cream again? I'm pretty tired, and I want some," Angel groans as he walks toward the ice cream truck.

"What do you say, Aki? Want some?" you say, pointing at the ice cream truck ahead.

Aki sighs as Angle starts to order his ice cream cone. He takes out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. You begin to scold him, "You shouldn't be smoking those every time you feel stressed. You know those will rot your bones, right?" You try to take away the tiny box from him as he stares at you with a curious look on his face.

He smiles at you, "Yeh, I know... I'm thinking of quitting."

"Oh," you say with amusement, "what's with the sudden change? I mean, I'm glad, don't get me wrong. Just curious." You cross your arms as you wait for Aki's response.

"They don't taste as good anymore," he admitted, looking at the black packaging.

"Hm, alright. Glad it tastes like ass then," you joked.

"I said they taste bad now, not that they taste like ass," he jokes. A small grin forms as he restrains himself from laughing.

"Huh?" You question, raising an eyebrow, "how would you know?"

Aki laughs, "Never mind. Cmon, let's get your ice cream. On me."

"Hm, I'll just pretend you never said that." You say, rolling your eyes. "And I don't want ice cream, so don't you worry."

You both walk up to the Angel devil, who was lazily seated on a bench. "That's your third one. Haven't you had enough?" Aki huffed, "Hurry it up. We need to get back on our patrol."

"Eating ice cream tired me out..." Angel yawns, "Apparently, eating takes up energy as well. I don't want to work anymore."

Aki looks at you with an annoyed look on his face. You smile empathically at him. He turns back to the Angel devil.  "Now that we know the Gun devils location, there will be an expedition. To join it, I need more big devil kills on my record."

Angel pointed at you, "Can't your friend over there help you with that? Why do you need me?" he annoyingly mumbled.

Aki's face scrunches up, "This isn't about y/n. This is about you right now. I need more people to look harder for devils. You're our buddy now; work with us right now."

"Whaaat?" Angel says, "I dunno... How about I think about it after I eat one more ice cream?"

Aki places his leg on the bench, "Get up." he demands, "If I tell the higher-ups you're useless, you'll be killed as a devil. Do you want that?"

The Angel devil looks down, "Mmm... I guess I rather die than work..."

You place a hand on Aki's shoulder, "alright, let's cool off for five more minutes, and we head out, alright," you smile as you try to de-escalate the situation.

The two boys nod as you try to break them apart.

______

You three are patrolling again when you stop in front of an alleyway. You turn your head slightly to get a better view of a shadow you saw that passed in the corner of your eye.

"Something wrong, y/n?" Aki asks.

"Think I spotted a devil," you state, taking out your scythe.

"Ugh," the Angel devil groans, "more work to do."

"Let's go," you command.

The three of you begin walking into the alley, listening carefully for movement. You hear a faint rustle in front of you. You quickly swing your scythe, attaching the chine onto the devil you previously saw.