22: I Always Wanted Some Unbreakable Toys

"Give me that apple! Let me eat it!" 

"No way! They're all mine!" 

"No apples for jerks who ran away from the enemy!!" Denji screamed.

"I never fled!!" Power shouted back, "I left because I was hungry, that's all!!"

You try to break apart the fighting pair, "Can you guys relax and share the damn apples!" 

"Lair!! Scary-cat! Chicken!" Denji mocked. 

"Why, you!" Power announced, trying to land a hit on Denji. The two began to fight like children while you were stuck between them. You kept your eye on Aki, seeing the sadness in his eyes. You wanted to make him feel better, but you knew you had to let him process and properly mourn for his friend. However, with the two fiends fighting, you felt as if that might be difficult. 

As you were thinking of a way to calm Power and Denji, you felt a light sting of a slap that emitted from your face. You fumed as you stared at Power and Denji. You furiously shoved Power and Denji away from each other, "Se calman o los calmo. Escogan," you scolded. Immideatilely, the two stopped what they were doing and slowly sat back down. They have never been scolded by you to that degree, especially not being yelled at in Spanish, so they knew it was serious.  

Aki saw you lecture them in the corner of his eyes. He had his face facing the window, so you couldn't see the small smile that formed on his face as you reprimanded the two. However, he couldn't shake off the sadness that was consuming him at the moment, and indeed that smile left as quickly as it came. 

He continued to sit on his bed, emotionless and numb from everything that was happening in front of him, "Who else from Division 4 is still alive...?"  he somberly asked. 

Denji looked at Aki, "That shorty called Kobeni... I guess the guy with the glasses survived too. 'Cept he quit public safety."

Aki stayed quiet; Denji then spoke up, "Makima's askin' for me and Powy. We're gonna split."

"We were only here to eat your get-well fruit." Power announced while biting into a red apple. Soon the pair started heading out the door. You looked at Aki once more, "I'll be heading out with them as well..." you awkwardly stood there,  unsure what to say to him,  "I'm sorry about everything."

Aki looked up to you with confusion, "Why are you sorry?" he questioned.

"I guess I feel like I could've done more. To protect everyone out there," you softly mumbled. 

"Please don't be sorry; I would hate myself if you felt guilt over everything," Aki uttered, "the risk of losing your life it... it comes with the job... Promise me you won't blame it on yourself only; at least let me share some of the blame with you." He looked up at you with pleading eyes. 

You sighed but slowly nodded to not agitate him any further.  The room went silent, both of you hesitant about what to say next. You had your hands behind your back, playing with the last apple you managed to steal from Denji. Aki turns back to look outside the window; as he is faced away from you, you place the apple on the tableside. You speak up, "I managed to steal the last apple from Denji; I will leave it on the bedside. I hope you feel better soon." As you were turning, Aki grabbed your fingers. You felt blood rushing to your face as you turned to look at him. He was slightly blushing, "Thank you... for..." Aki tried to come up with a reason why he grabbed your hand; truth be told, there wasn't a logical explanation for his action. "Thanks for saving me the apple..." You nodded as you were nervous to say anything, your face feeling warm due to his touch. "I hope I see you soon once I'm out of this bed," he said with a slight warmth in his tone.