34: "Asking me to move in with you?"

A/n: hello, welcome. I know a few of you were waiting for an update, and hurray, here it is. I had this chapter in the drafts for a while now, but just recently, I was able to be free and make minor edits to it. A small trigger warning in this chapter when you see the line of *** mentions of abuse are in there. Feel free to skip it; not super important for the relationship between aki and y/n,  but more towards the mother and y/n. So if those topics trigger you, I highly suggest you skip over that part. But onward with the story!

You held your breath, waiting for your body to hit the cold hard concrete. However, you feel small suction-like cups wrap around your body. You slowly open your eyes and see you are being held by what appears to be a large tentacle. 

The more you look out, you find Yoshida and Kishibe looking at you. Soon enough, your feet are placed on the ground, and you wipe your uniform off of any dust and dirt to ease your nerves about falling out of an 8-floor building.

"You alright, kid?" Kishibe questions as he begins to take out a flash from his trench coat pocket. 

You nod silently, your mind still processing everything that just happened. You feel another tentacle brush against your leg. Yoshida walks up to you and sits on the tentacle that became a makeshift bench. Kishibe soon follows and sits on Yoshida's right. Shortly you join the pair and sit down as well.

You look in front of you and see the octopus devil killing many of the dolls that are still attacking. Yoshida clears his throat, "Looks like Ms. Makima's objective isn't to protect Denji after all. For a security detail, it was too many conspicuous people. Plus, the guys she requested for the team are all third-rate hunters. Including me."

You curl your lip into a frown; Yoshida notices your frustrated look and corrects himself. "Uh... my bad," he apologizes, "Most people she requested are third-rate."

"If you're third-rate, that makes me fourth-rate," Kishibe falters, taking another long sip from his flask. 

You roll your eyes and slightly chuckle at Kishibe's comment. You decide not to comment too much during this conversation. You're physically there, sitting beside Yoshida, listening to the surrounding ambiance and the conversation happening to your right. 

Yet, everything sounds static, and you are only able to hear an irritating ring traveling inside your ears. Mentally, you were clocked out. Slowly losing the stamina to refocus. However, a comment from Kishibe caught your attention.

"You're absolutely sure Makima isn't listening to this conversation?" Kishibe asked with worry, laced around his tongue.

Yoshida nods, "It's safe. I had octopus check. There are no rats, birds, or anything nearby. Makima borrows the hearing of lower forms of life... Right?" he drags out.

You turn your head, looking at the reaction Kishibe gave the young devil hunter. "Be careful about sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, kid."

"Oh, I don't have time to do that," Yoshida responds. You scoff at his statement, "Pff, didn't seem like that yesterday," you remark, recalling the young dark hair boy intruding into your life.

Kishibe chuckles at your statement; however, the private devil hunter looks at you before speaking up again, "I have finals coming up. So I don't want to waste time worrying."

"Oh yeh, you're still in high school, aren't ya?" the old man perks up.

"Uh, are you an idiot?" Yoshida questions, pondering if the man next to him is mentally sound. 

You softly laugh as you had the same thoughts as him. You sigh heavily, "So what do you think is happening inside the building?" you ask.

Yoshida furrows his brows, "You didn't see? A giant hand came out of the sky; you barely escaped it. So if you don't know what happened, we know less."