23 I love you

"Y/n... Can I ask you something?" Aki breathed out. 

You stiffened at his question. Your mind raced, wondering what Aki was about to ask you. You gulp, swallowing your nerves to answer Aki, who was patiently awaiting your response. 

"Depending on the question..." you say nervously, "I'll answer it." 

Aki nods, "Why did you avoid me? I know you said that I didn't make you uncomfortable with what I did..." he sighs heavily, "But I can't help but feel I messed things up between us. Sure, things are okay now, but as partners, we should try to have communication between us. So if you are okay with it, I would like to know why you were avoiding me." he states, looking directly at you with his dark green eyes. 

 You laugh nervously; you couldn't tell him it was because you were developing feelings for him. Should you just make up a lie? No, that wouldn't be fair to him; after all, Aki wanted to set a good foundation between you..  

"You're right; I was avoiding you... I am sorry," you apologized. "It was stupid of me; I guess..." you pause, thinking about what you would say to Aki, "I was scared how things would go between us. Since after the whole... ya know... almost kiss," you whisper. "I was afraid things would get weird between us, and I was scared I would lose my friendship with you. But I only made things worse. I also felt some guilt, especially since I know Himeno liked you and all..." You looked at him nervously, awaiting his following response. 

"Hm," he hummed. "I'm sorry I placed you in that uncomfortable position; I wasn't thinking about your feelings and only cared about my own desires," he mumbled. "To be honest, I never took notice of Himeno's feelings towards me until after her..."

You place a hand on Aki's shoulder, comforting him as you see some tears well into his eyes. "I'm surprised," you say, "She made it pretty obvious."

Aki snorts, "Yeh; I guess you have a point; I was probably blinded or chose to ignore it since someone else occupied my mind." Your eyes widen at his statement, "where was Aki going with this?" you thought.  

"I only saw Himeno as a friend; no matter if she confessed to me, we wouldn't go any further than that, just friends. I'm pretty sure she knew too," he added. You stayed silent, unsure of how to respond to Aki. 

Aki grabs your hands, an action that makes your heart uncontrollably beat. He looked at you, his cheeks embellished with pink; this only made you blush uncontrollably as well. Tiny droplets of sweat began to fall as you waited for him to talk again.

Aki was still nervous, worry written on his face. He takes a deep breath as he prepares himself, "So y/n..." 

"Yes, Aki..." 

"The reason why I almost kissed you..." he confessed, "I... I L-"

"Aki!!!" Denji screams as he busts through the door, "Oh y/n, your still here." 

Aki was fuming, frustrated that he once again got interrupted. He gritted through his teeth, "What do you want, Denji?"

"Power didn't flush the toilet again! I tried calling her out again and making her flush it, but she won't come out of her room!" Denji complained as he pointed toward the restroom.

"And you had to slam my door to tell me this..." Aki seethed in anger. 

You begin to laugh uncontrollably as you watch the two bicker in front of you. You were able to release the ball of nerves that were building up inside of you. The two looked at you, confused, as you tried to contain your laughter. "Im sorry..." you pant, "I don't know why I found you two fighting so funny."

Aki smiled once more and joined in your laughter. Denji joined but shortly stopped, "This is fun and all, but we still have an unflushed toilet." 

"Then why don't you go and flush it?" you asked.