1 :) Aminah

I need a break.

No one told me taking on two jobs would be this stressful. It's like all my energy is being sucked out from my soul bit by bit. These past weeks has been torture and it's really taking a toll on me. Honestly, I wonder how long I'd last considering it's been just a month, yet I'm having second thoughts.

It's another draining day at BD's cafe, my workplace, but I can't help but want to take few minutes off to nap. Is that too much to ask??

Apparently it is, because I've barely stayed for five minutes when Maya, my co-worker came to look for me at the storage room where I had lied I needed to get some coffee beans.

"Aminah?" She double tapped on the table where I had barely began napping. "Are you ok?" In all honesty, I wasn't but it's not like I can tell her that.

"Yeah." I forced a smile out.

"Just wanted to tell you Brad is back." With that, she left, I don't need to be told twice. Brad is the owner of the café and take my word for it when I say he hates when employees nap during working hours.

Scouring outside, I saw Brad go in through the back door just as I came out. Whew, that was close. I muttered a quiet 'Thanks' to Maya and she smiled in appreciation. A part of me seems to believe she knows I wasn't getting any coffee beans in the first place.

Two Espressos, one latte and three black coffee later, I saw Jen making her way towards me. A smile found its way to my face just with her presence. You ever have that friend that seems like you've known each other all your life whereas it been only few years? Yh, that's how it feels with Jenny.

"Hey girlfriend," she said with a smirk. I met Jenny in my freshman year after she posted an ad about needing a roommate. Seeing as the pay was on a more logical side, I told her I was interested and we picked a day for me to check out the place.

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw her was snobby. From her short brown Bob hair, to her perfectly manicured nails, to her brown sparkly eyes. Turns out I judged her too fast because she's totally down to earth.

At first, I was skeptical about getting the place because I believed we wouldn't get along, but later, I decided I would after concluding that I'd probably just stay out of her way as much as I can. However, I couldn't be more grateful I met her.

"Hey." I relaxed at her presence. 

"Are you okay?" she asked. In the three years I've known Jenny, she never cease to amaze me with her endless concern. She's the type to notice any slight change in a person.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." I said with a weak smile.

"It's so obvious. It's written all over you. Are you still going tonight?" She quizzed.  

"Yes. You know I really-"

"-really need the money. I know," she completes for me. "But Minah you need to rest, hmmm?" She raised her brows at me. "If you keep up like this, you are gonna fall sick"

"Yes ma'am." I joked.

"I'm serious," she says deadpanned. "I know you need the cash, but you've gotta take a break."

"Ok Jenny." she sighed as I said that, seeing through me that I probably wouldn't take her words for it, not that I have a choice though.

"I'm heading home, just thought to check up on you." she said. Sincerely, sometimes I wonder why I thought of her to be snobby when we first met because she's so thoughtful.

"Thanks Jen." I smiled at her in appreciation, fixing her a to-go Cappuccino before going back to serving coffees.

*****